Reader / Professor of Economics
Queen's Management School at Queen’s University Belfast is currently seeking to appoint an exceptional candidate to the post of Reader/Professor of Economics. This is a key post within the Queen’s Management School’s Department of Economics. At a time of growth, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to shape and strengthen the future direction of the Department of Economics from both a research and teaching perspective. Our supportive research environment enables attendance at international conferences, facilitates the pursuit of high-quality publications and fosters meaningful engagement with non-academic stakeholders.
The appointed candidate will get the opportunity to interact and work with colleagues whose research is internationally renowned for excellence and high societal impact. Current members of the Department of Economics have published their work in leading scholarly journals including the American Economic Review, Journal of Economic Theory, International Economic Review, The Economic Journal, Journal of Economic Perspectives, Economic History Review, Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, Labour Economics, Journal of Health Economics, Journal of Development Economics, Environment and Planning A, and Journal of Urban Economics.
The Department’s research is funded by multiple grant awarding bodies including the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), Leverhulme Trust, National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR), North-South Research Programme, UK-India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI), and the British Academy.
The successful candidate must have, and your application should clearly demonstrate you have:
- a PhD in Economics or a related discipline
- internationally recognised excellence and reputation in Economics
- a sustained publication record of international excellence in Economics
- significant experience of teaching and assessment in Economics at university level
- demonstrable excellence in classroom teaching and online delivery of teaching
- successful supervision of PhD students
- for Professor: substantial experience of providing academic leadership at a strategic level (e.g., Director of Research, Head of Department)
- for Professor: experience of providing leadership to the wider scholarly community (e.g., decision-making editorial roles in peer-reviewed journals).
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list and refer to the relevant job descriptions by clicking on the Candidate Information link below for additional essential criteria relating to research, teaching, and management/administration.
At Queen’s our people are at the heart of everything we do. As a staff member you will become part of a vibrant organisational culture, which will provide you with the opportunity to achieve your full potential and enhance your career through a continuous focus on learning and development.
We offer an excellent employment package that includes:
- Great terms & conditions
- Pension schemes
- Flexible working by enabling you to design your working week in collaboration with your manager through a blend of remote and office working
- Family-friendly initiatives
- Career development opportunities
- Support for health & mental wellbeing
- Generous holiday entitlement of 8.4 weeks a year (made up of 23 days annual leave, 10 closure days and 9 bank holidays)
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing staff networks such as iRise (Race) and PRISM (LGBTQ+) which help us progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as the Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena Swan. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/
Informal enquiries may be directed to: