Research Assistant, Mangrove Microbiome and Role in C Budget
The Department of Biology at the United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) is seeking applications for a full-time research assistant. The successful candidate will be offered a two year position. The candidate will be involved in the project investigating microbial communities of newly planted and native mangroves using culture-dependent and independent approaches. The goal of the project is to screen and explore halophilic microorganisms with plant growth promotion potential from mangrove sediments as well as plant roots, and further to investigate the impact of planted and natural mangrove on soil microbial communities and carbon balance in the soil sediments along depth gradients. Next generation sequencing (NGS) techniques focussing on whole-genome-sequencing/metabarcoding/metagenomics analyses, coupled with ecological experimental approaches will be used in the project.
Highly motivated candidate, with Masters in Biology/Bioinformatic/Microbiology/Biotechnology, strong academic track record, and relevant experience in microbial ecology (microbiome diversity and functional assessment using molecular tools specifically metabarcoding and/or metagenomics) are specially encouraged to apply.
The selected candidate is expected to:
- Conduct field work (soil and root collection) in arid environment;
- Process samples for biochemical and molecular lab work;
- Analyse the genomic dataset using bioinformatic and statistical software;
- Prepare manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals; and
- Assist in supervising/mentoring undergraduate students.
To apply the position applicant must include:
- A cover letter including a motivation statement for the position;
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work, scientific publications and other relevant experience);
- Copies of educational certificates and/or transcripts of records;
- List of publications and academic work that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluating committee; and
- Names and contact details of three references (name, affiliation, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number; the references will be contacted if necessary therefore letters of recommendation are not required for the initial application).
The salary will be approximately 3500 AED per month. There may be opportunities to continue as PhD student in the department providing IELTS score >6.5.
Candidates with experience in eDNA extraction, NGS library preparation and bioinformatic as well as statistical analyses (using R) of big genomic dataset (metabarcoding/metagenomics) is highly preferred. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and ability to work well in collaborative environment with skills in networking are highly advantageous. Evaluation for the position be based on education, experience as well as motivation in terms of the qualification requirements mentioned in the advertisement.
Special Instructions to Applicant
For further information regarding the position, please contact Dr. Sunil Mundra (e-mail: email@example.com).
Division College of Science - (COS)
Department Biology - (COS)
Job Close Date open until filled
Job Category Academic - Research Assistant