Director of Academic Success & Bar Programs and Professor of Practice
Posting #: 4240
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Administrator, School of Law
Position Title & Department:Director of Academic Success & Bar Programs and Professor of Practice; School of LawPosting #
4240Department Description:USD School of Law is one of the 84 law schools elected to the Order of the Coif, a national honor society for law school graduates. The law school's faculty is a strong group of outstanding scholars and teachers with national and international reputations and currently ranks in the top 20% (36th out of 204) among U.S. law schools in scholarly impact according to a 2018 study. The school is accredited by the American Bar Association and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools. Founded in 1954, the law school is part of the University of San Diego, a private, independent, Roman Catholic university chartered in 1949.University Description:
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity s urgent challenges.Detailed Description:
The Director of Academic Success and Bar Programs ( ASBP ) and Professor of Practice is the lead administrator and faculty member for designing and implementing academic support and bar preparation programs at USD School of Law. In addition to teaching assignments each academic year, the Director of ASBP and Professor of Practice is expected to lead the administration of year-round student services and programming to support bar takers. They are expected to work collaboratively and consultatively with administrators and faculty in related areas. This is a 12-month position and requires occasional attendance at on and off campus events during and outside normal business hours.Duties and ResponsibilitiesDevelop and Manage a Comprehensive Program in Academic Success and Bar Preparation
- Direct academic success programming designed to promote student learning and the academic success of all JD students. Direct bar exam support programming designed to promote bar exam learning and the bar exam success of all recent graduates.Stay abreast of ASBP literature and best practices, ensuring programming is driven by evidence and best in class.Advise and work with students on all aspects of bar exam preparation. Provide comprehensive information on bar exam success strategies.Execute training programs, lectures, workshops and special events relating to bar preparation.Host group workshops on bar exam related topics.Lead development of instructional videos, handouts, training materials, etc. to support ASBP programming.Serve as the law school s liaison with commercial bar preparation providers and oversee the delivery of bar exam preparation programs.As needed, assist the Assistant Dean for Law Student Affairs with the administration of the Academic Supervision and Probation programs, including conducting individual Academic Supervision Action Plan meetings with students on Academic Supervision.Work with Law Student Affairs to reach out to all student organizations, clubs and journals to promote best practices for academic success in law school.Keep accurate academic success and bar program records.Finalize bar passage and academic success reports.Analyze student and bar taker data to inform revisions to interventions and be the in-house expert on all data related to academic success and bar programs.Serve as Principal Investigator on ASBP grant-funded research projects.Hire and supervise the work of external data analysts as needed.Develop a monitoring and evaluation framework to assess programming and interventions.
- Teach existing courses designed to increase bar exam and academic skills.Train and support the teaching performance of adjunct faculty who are assigned to teach bar exam and academic skills courses. Review and redesign bar exam and academic skills courses to align with industry best practices, and to meet the needs of USD law students based on data analysis on student outcomes, course evaluations, etc. This includes revising the curriculum and syllabi, in a consultative and collaborative manner with the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs and other related faculty.
- As needed, hold office hours to work with JD students one-on-one to increase their overall academic skills. As needed, provide academic skills tutoring for students in need and refer students to relevant resources as necessary. Some personal and academic counseling may be required.Refer students to other administrative or counseling resources when necessary.
- Perform administrative duties as necessary, including responding promptly to emails and phone calls and attending meetings within the department, law school and university. With the assistance of the Assistant Director of Academic Success and Bar Programs, effectively manage event budgets and costs under the supervision of the Assistant Dean for Law Student Affairs. Participate and lead development of ASBPR related portions of Orientation.Attend and support Commencement.Assist the Admissions Department with admissions of transfer students, as necessary.Develop and manage the ASBP budget.Manage the web presence of the ASBP programs and development of materials and communications content in support of programming.Serve as Principal Investigator on ASBP projects.Perform other duties or tasks as assigned.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.Job Requirements:
- JD degree from ABA accredited law school required.Admission to a state bar required.Experience teaching and strong course evaluations required. Experience tutoring, leading workshops, and training is required. Minimum of three-five years of relevant professional experience required. Some prior experience working within a law school Academic Success or Bar Preparation or similar program required. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail is critical. Ability to handle confidential information, exhibit good judgment, and exemplify appropriate customer service in working with students, faculty, and all levels of university staff and officials. Excellence in written and oral communication.Supervisory experience required.
- Academic counseling or advising experience preferred.Demonstrated experience with data analysis to inform programming. Budget management experience preferred. Supervisory experience is strongly preferred.Demonstrated experience serving a diverse student population is strongly preferred.Academic counseling or advising experience preferred.Ability to prioritize workload effectively and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.Ability to take initiative in managing projects and ability to develop and keep to timelines.Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.Strong programmatic leader who can work well with faculty, staff, and students and lead in the pursuit of institutional goals.Ability to lead programmatic learning, reflection, and iteration.Strong computer skills for spreadsheet reporting, word-processing, database maintenance.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also include previous course evaluationsAdditional Details:
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: July 14, 2022 Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled