Pre-Award Support Coordinator
The Faculty of Arts & Humanities is seeking a Pre-award Support Coordinator to support research grant capture and to provide high level administrative support for research activity across the Faculty. We are looking to recruit a pro-active individual who can bring their knowledge of the research funding environment to facilitate grant applications by providing advice and operational support on budget development and compliance processes in relation to funder requirements and University policy. They will work as part of a team and in close collaboration with the Arts & Humanities Research Development Manager to support academic staff in securing external research funding. The role holder will also support some of the administrative functions of the Faculty as they relate to research including providing support to research committees. They will liaise with colleagues to ensure research activity is appropriately publicised and communicated and provide project management for strategic initiatives led by the Faculty leadership team. The Faculty of Arts & Humanities at King’s College London is currently home to 12 academic departments and institutes and close to 400 academic staff.
This post will be offered on a full-time, indefinite contract.
- To work closely with the Faculty Research and Impact committees, and in particular the Faculty Research and Engagement Manager, on implementing College and Faculty research strategy.
- To provide project management for strategic initiatives in the Faculty relating to research.
- To support and co-develop grant capture processes, facilitating the roll-out of new support systems as necessary and contribute to process improvement projects.
Research grants and financial support
- To proactively facilitate the research grant application process within the Faculty, including the provision of budgets, and maintaining an overview of applications in development.
- To provide guidance and support to academic staff applying for research grants, including basic queries on eligibility and eligible costs.
- To accurately and efficiently input salary and non-salary costings into research funder online portals.
- To maintain effective and efficient communication with academic staff and the Research Development Manager as to the progress of research grant applications.
- To inform Heads of Department (HoD) of the financial implications of prospective research grants on the department, and, essentially, to ensure HoD approval for any contribution the department would have to make if successful.
- To keep the Cluster Research Managers and Faculty Post-Award Processing Bureau informed about the project pipeline, highlighting resource implications of grants (space needs, new posts, administrative requirements etc.).
- To liaise with the Cluster Research Managers and Faculty Post-Award Processing Bureau proactively to ensure that application budgets are in line with King’s policy and processes
- To proactively engage with College level initiatives, to ensure operational alignment with the wider research function, in relation to this role’s responsibilities.
- To liaise with the central pre-award office at application stage for queries related to eligibility matters, costing and College policies when expert guidance is needed.
- To work closely and communicate timely with the pre-award office on any upcoming application, grants transfer and grants amendment at post-award stage.
- To work collaboratively with the pre-award office at approval stage by maintaining compliance and understanding of College policies and procedures around the use of research application systems and submission timelines to support accurate grant income projections for the Faculty.
- To liaise with the Faculty’s Senior Marketing Officer and Communications Officer to ensure that the Faculty’s research activity is appropriately promoted and marketed via the Faculty and College website, through social media and other appropriate print and digital communications media.
- To manage the effective flow of internal information related to College and Faculty initiatives.
- Impact / Public Engagement
- To work closely with impact team and the Vice Dean (External Relations) on ensuring that impact and public engagement elements of research projects are appropriately planned and costed.
- To monitor developments in research policy and ensure that the Faculty’s research procedures are informed by current policy.
- To provide management information related to Faculty research activities to stakeholders. The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Educated to degree level or equivalent
2. Substantial experience in university administration, or similar
3. Some experience of facilitating and supporting research funding applications
4. Experience of financial management, particularly in relation to research grants, and knowledge of university financial procedures
5. Excellent IT skills, including Word, and Excel
6. Excellent written and oral communication skills
7. An understanding of the research funding environment in UK universities
8. Understanding of the nature of academic research
9. Excellent attention to detail
10. Able to present and communicate ideas to a range of stakeholders, including senior members of academic staff
11. Able to work discretely with confidential matters
12. Ability to work under pressure and a flexible approach to changing priorities and processes
1. Experience of writing for the web