Associate Lecturer in Contemporary Music Practice
- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Sydney, Australia
- $79,784 - $107,516 p.a. + 17% superannuation
- 23 Nov 2022
- End of advertisement period
- 08 Jan 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Art, Performing Arts & Design
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Full time continuing
- Opportunity to contribute to the teaching and learning efforts within Sydney Conservatorium of Music
- Academic Level A, Base Salary $79,784 - $107,516 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The Sydney Conservatorium of Music (SCM) is one of the oldest and most prestigious Music Schools in Australia. It is a distinctive part of Sydney's arts and education nucleus. The Sydney Conservatorium of Music is renowned for its exceptional commitment to music, innovative programs and partnerships programs with Australia's major organisations. Since its inception in 1915, the Conservatorium has played an important role in shaping Sydney's cultural identity. The Conservatorium has developed strong ties with the city's professional symphonic life through 'visiting staff' relationships with major professional ensembles and maintained strong links with professional music performance internationally.
The Sydney Conservatorium of Music is located in a landmark position at the heart of Sydney's cultural precinct, close to the Sydney Opera House and surrounded by the Royal Botanic Gardens. Since 2001, following major renovation to create a facility of outstanding acoustic and architectural quality, the Conservatorium is regarded as one of the finest in the world with five major performance venues and over 130 teaching and practice studios.
The Associate Lecturer contributes to the teaching and learning efforts within The Sydney Conservatorium of Music while working with the support and guidance of more senior academic staff to develop their research profile and education proficiency
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- conduct research or scholarly activity; develop and refine research skills and independent research under the supervision of more senior academic staff;
- engage in high-quality teaching and learning experiences which meet the University's expectations and standards for education;
- engage in supervision of research students at undergraduate level, in accordance with the requirements and expectations of the Con;
- undertake administration primarily related to the Associate Lecturer's activities at the Con.
We are looking for an Associate Lecturer - Contemporary Music Practice who possesses:
- high-level professional musical accomplishments and/or practice-led research in popular/contemporary music;
- proven ability to translate professional practice into learning experiences in tertiary classroom settings;
- proven ability to supervise honours and postgraduate students (Masters, DMA, PhD);
- audio engineering skills (on Logic or similar);
- ability to teach across a number of contemporary music areas, such as live performance, songwriting, and production;
- a plan to complete a PhD or DMA in a relevant area
- PhD or DMA in a relevant area
- track record of publishing research in contemporary music/popular music studies.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is available for the right candidate.
Closing date for applications
11:59 pm, 8 January 2023
How to apply
Please click here to apply
© The University of Sydney