Associate Lecturer in Design, Education Focused
- Full time fixed term 12 months; three vacancies
- Education-focused; Contribute your exceptional knowledge and experience in design to a dynamic School
- Academic Level A. Base Salary $79,784 - $107,516 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning is an internationally acknowledged centre for intellectual, scientific and creative research, and attracts the highest quality scholars in Australia. We are committed to a sustainable future for Sydney and the world. Creatively combining the disciplines of Architecture, Urbanism and Design, we explore how cities, spaces, buildings, technologies, and services can better meet the needs of people and society. As one of the world's top-ranked schools, our educators and researchers are experimental, imaginative, and critical, innovating at the boundaries of their disciplines and creating exciting and engaging learning experiences for our students - the global citizens of tomorrow.
Design is a rapidly growing and highly successful discipline within the school. Our research explores and contributes to better futures: we envision, define and inform the interactions between people, technologies, organisations, and society. Pushing the boundaries of pedagogical practice in interaction and innovation, we encourage our students to critically rethink and prototype new objects, systems, experiences, and materials that shape human experience and life on the planet through the lens of design. To address these huge and critical problems, our design staff come from all kinds of backgrounds, including mathematics, psychology, musical composition, community activism, and robotics. Recognising that design cannot happen in isolation, we actively collaborate across disciplines and with external partners, including industry, not-for-profit, government and community groups and organisations.
Due to rapid growth in student numbers, the School is seeking to appoint a number of fixed-term academics to support our 2023 teaching in the Bachelor of Design (Interaction Design), Master of Design and the Master of Interaction Design and Electronic Arts.
Education-focused roles are a specialised category of academic engagement reserved for talented educators with a passion for, and demonstrated excellence in, pedagogical practice and design. The successful candidate will dedicate the majority (up to 70% - or by mutual agreement 80%) of their academic workload allocation to education and educational development. We also highly value recognised expertise in higher education pedagogy, or the willingness to undertake additional development through for example completion of the Graduate Certificate in Education Studies (Higher Education) or comparable recognition (e.g. obtaining FHEA status).
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- co-ordinate and teach into Bachelor of Design (Interaction Design), Master of Design and Masters of Interaction Design and Electronic Arts programs
- co-ordinate and deliver in whole or part of selected core and elective units of study, including design studios where appropriate.
We are looking for an Associate Lecturer in Design (Education Focused) who possesses:
- postgraduate qualifications in Design
- demonstrated teaching ability or track record of successful teaching in design at university level, including in one or more of: web design, designing for VR, design practice, design for digital, design innovation practices, design programming and design thinking; audio production, practice and sound design for new media
- industry experience in one or more of: interaction design, social design, service design, design thinking
- a collegial approach and willingness to contribute to academic governance, engagement, and administration.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is NOT available for this position.
Closing date for applications
11:59 pm, 6 December 2022
How to apply
Please click here to apply
© The University of Sydney