Embedded Software Engineer
- Full time 12 month Fixed Term Contract
- Opportunity to work on the development of novel sensor prototypes
- HE07 Base Salary $100,032- $108,979 + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
Reporting to Moritz Merklein the Embedded Software Engineer is a multi-disciplined and hands-on development opportunity which involves collaboration with researchers and fellow engineers. This is an opportunity to work on an innovative project developing novel sensor prototypes for the Jericho Smart Sensing Laboratory (JSSL) in the cutting-edge facilities in the Sydney Nanoscience Hub (SNH).
Utilising technical expertise and time management skills, this role will:
- collaborate with researchers and electronics/ software engineers across the SNH
- develop prototypes based on the world-leading microwave photonics research
- provide technical design and implementation of software and firmware for mixed-signal subsystems
- work across a broad range of disciplines, including software, firmware, electronics hardware, and real-time signal processing
- work at the interface of electronic, software, and optical engineering and support the development of rapid data acquisition, graphical user interfaces for lab prototypes, interfacing with and networking of hardware subsystems, as well as managing data collection
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for an Embedded Software Engineer who has:
- tertiary qualifications in a relevant area such as software engineering, computer science or electronics, electrical or mechatronics engineering or equivalent relevant experience
- experience in programming, data communications, electrical communication interfaces and protocols
- proven skills in software engineering, interfacing with hardware, data acquisition, processing, and display (ideally in the context of radio frequency signals)
- understanding of system design and real-time performance
- experience in experimentation, experiment design and modelling, test, measurement, validation and verification
- excellent communication skills, including demonstrated capacity in reporting, engineering documentation, presentations and/or proposal writing.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Linden Joseph or Rebecca Astar, Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on firstname.lastname@example.org.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Tuesday 06 December 2022 11:59 PM