Research Assistant in Microbiology
Application closing date: 05/12/2022
Salary: £29,619 - £34,308 per annum
Job category/type: Research
The School of Biological Sciences at Queen’s University Belfast, is currently seeking to appoint an exceptional candidate to the post of Research Assistant in Microbiology.
The postholder will be an active member of a cross-Faculty research team monitoring pathogen levels and antimicrobial resistance within selected wastewater treatment plants and nursing home sites across Northern Ireland. The project will involve the routine sampling of wastewater treatment facilities and nursing home sites alongside the analysis of these samples for a range of pathogen and antimicrobial resistance markers qPCR and whole genome sequencing.
The successful candidate must have, and your application should clearly demonstrate you have:
- A Degree in Microbiology or related discipline
- At least 1-year recent relevant research experience in a laboratory setting with experience in nucleic acid extraction from environmental / clinical samples and qPCR
- Well-developed understanding of relevant regulations and procedures including Health and Safety requirements and of COSHH regulations
- Interest in interdisciplinary research.
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list. For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria please click the Candidate Information link below.
This post is fixed term until 31 March 2024. Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
At Queen’s our people are at the heart of everything we do. As a staff member you will become part of a vibrant organisational culture, which will provide you with the opportunity to achieve your full potential and enhance your career through a continuous focus on learning and development.
We offer an excellent employment package that includes:
- Great terms & conditions
- Pension schemes
- Family-friendly initiatives
- Career development opportunities
- Support for health & mental wellbeing
- Generous holiday entitlement of 8 weeks a year (made up of 23 days annual leave, 10 closure days and 9 bank holidays)
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing staff networks such as iRise (Race) and PRISM (LGBTQ+) which help us progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as the Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena Swan. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/
Informal enquiries may be directed to Dr Andrew Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org