Research Fellow, School of Arts, English and Languages
Application closing date: 05/12/2022
Salary: £35,333 per annum
Job category/type: Research
The School of Arts, English and Languages (AEL) at Queen’s University Belfast, is currently seeking to appoint an exceptional candidate to the post of Research Fellow. The successful applicant will play a leading role in the research and data management of the Northern Ireland Place-Name Project (NIPNP). The project is concerned with the origins and meanings of local place-names, the majority of which originated in the Irish language.
The successful candidate must have, and your application should clearly demonstrate you have:
- A primary degree in Irish language and literature.
- Obtained, or be about to obtain, a PhD in Irish or cognate discipline.
- At least 3 years' relevant research experience to include a knowledge of relevant areas of Irish language and linguistics.
- Demonstrable research ability as evidenced by, for example, publications, national/international conference papers, research awards, future scholarly output (working papers, research proposals, ability to outline a research project).
- An understanding of the operational requirements for a successful research project.
- Contribute to the School’s outreach programme by links with learned societies, community groups etc
- Experience with information technology.
- Sufficient breadth and depth of specialist knowledge in Irish linguistics and of research methods and techniques to work within established research programmes.
- Fluency in Irish
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list. For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria please click Candidate Information Below.
Fixed Term 18 months. Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
At Queen’s our people are at the heart of everything we do. As a staff member you will become part of a vibrant organisational culture, which will provide you with the opportunity to achieve your full potential and enhance your career through a continuous focus on learning and development.
We offer an excellent employment package that includes:
- Great terms & conditions
- Pension schemes
- Flexible working by enabling you to design your working week in collaboration with your manager through a blend of remote and office working
- Family-friendly initiatives
- Career development opportunities
- Support for health & mental wellbeing
- Generous holiday entitlement of 8.4 weeks a year (made up of 23 days annual leave, 10 closure days and 9 bank holidays)
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing staff networks such as iRise (Race) and PRISM (LGBTQ+) which help us progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as the Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena Swan. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/