Assistant Professor in Practice
Assistant Professor in Practice
Job Class Code: 00000
Posting Number: FRGV1449
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Division/Organization: Provost - Academic Affairs
Appointment Period for Non-Tenure Position: 3 years
Tenure Status: Non Tenure Track
Scope of Job:
We seek applicants who are dedicated to serving The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley's diverse student body as a Assistant Professor in Practice in the department of Teaching and Learning beginning in the 2023-2024 academic year.
About UTRGV: It is UTRGV's Vision “To be one of the nation's leaders in higher education, its premier Hispanic-serving institution, and a highly engaged bilingual university, with exceptional educational, research, and creative opportunities that serve as catalysts for transformation in the Rio Grande Valley and beyond.” As such, UTRGV is committed to building a diverse faculty and staff that can contribute to an enriching learning environment that strives for more equitable outcomes for student success. UTRGV is a distributed campus, one university spanning four counties and multiple locations. Our purpose is to be a university for the entire Rio Grande Valley and beyond. Over 91% of the students enrolled at UTRGV identify as Hispanic, making UTRGV one of the top 3 universities with the highest percentage of Hispanic students. For additional information, please visit our website.
The College of Education and P-16 Integration is a catalyst for educational success for individuals, families, communities, the region, and our society at large. We do this through thoughtful, culturally sustaining partnerships with our schools and communities, demonstrating responsiveness to a growing bilingual and biliterate population. As such, we are committed to excellence and innovation in teaching, research, and service.The mission of the College of Education and P-16 Integration is:
- Provide rigorous programs of study founded on the belief that scholarship and life experience are strengthened when integrated, that diversity in all its manifestations is a fundamental component of excellence in education, and that partnerships that foster authentic social and community engagement are vital;
- Engage in continuous improvement through curricular and technological innovation in order to remain responsive to the changing educational and global reality;
- Develop highly effective, multiculturally responsive and sustaining innovative scholars, learning leaders, and education professionals who challenge the status quo and serve as change agents, making a difference by promoting social justice, embracing diversity in its broadest definition, inspiring thought leadership, and pursuing life-long learning; and
- Lead through evidence-based decision making and data literacy in order to share our story with the academic and broader research communities, as well as our public school partners, families, and policy makers.
The College of Education and P-16 Integration offers initial teacher certification programs at the elementary level in bilingual education, ESL education, special education, and early childhood, as well as programs in various secondary disciplines. We also have master's programs in Bilingual Education, Reading and Literacy, Educational Leadership, Curriculum and Instruction, Special Education, School Psychology, and Counseling. The College of Education and P-16 Integration is fully accredited by the Texas Education Agency (TEA), the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and is pursuing national accreditation by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
The Department of Teaching and Learning, in collaboration with other departments, is a key producer of Latinx teachers, bilingual educators, and special educators in the Rio Grande Valley, Texas, the Southwest, and beyond. We provide a full range of EC6 programs including undergraduate programs leading to teacher certification via a Bachelor's in Interdisciplinary Studies in Bilingual Education, English as a Second Language, and Special Education, and we also teach the curriculum core of UTRGV's EC3 program. We also host eleven graduate programs and certificates including an Ed.D. in Curriculum and Instruction. Assistant professors of practice are full-time instructors in the department of teaching and learning with significant field supervision responsibilities. The professor of practice positions teach primarily in but are not limited to undergraduate teacher education courses and field supervision.
The candidate selected for this position will join a collaborative and innovative faculty who are dedicated to excellence and equity in education at all levels. This individual will have expertise and experience in teaching elementary methods and curriculum courses such as Teaching Social Studies to Elementary Students, Teaching ELA to Elementary Students, Instruction and Assessment, Teaching Science to Elementary Students, Designing and Implementing Instruction and Assessment, and Human Development and Student Learning.
For more information about the College of Education and P-16 Integration and the Department of Teaching and Learning, please see the following websites.http://www.utrgv.edu/cep/http://www.utrgv.edu/cep/departments/teaching-learning/index.htm
- Earned master’s in curriculum and instruction with specialization in math, science, English language arts, or social studies education;
- Earned masters in curriculum studies; earned masters in math education, science education, English education, or social studies education;
- Practical subject area teaching expertise in math, science, English, or social studies.
- Three years public school teaching experience;
- Commitment towards high quality learning for divers student population
- Candidate must have Texas Teaching Certification
Discipline Specific Required Qualifications:
- Earned doctorate in curriculum and instruction or curriculum studies with specialization in a specialization math, science, English language arts, or social studies education; teacher education experience;
- Experience supervising preservice teachers;
- Experience teaching diverse students;
- Five years of public-school teaching.
Salary: Commensurate with Qualifications and Experience
License or Certification Required?: Yes
Number of Vacancies: 3
Desired Start Date: 09/01/2023
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non-discrimination in its education programs and activities, including employment. We encourage women, minorities and differently abled persons to apply for employment positions of interest.
UTRGV is a Hispanic-serving Institution dedicated to student success and building a diverse faculty committed to working in a multicultural environment. UTRGV has an NSF ADVANCE grant to increase the representation of women in STEM fields and to promote a positive, family friendly workplace for all faculty. We strongly encourage applications from women and minorities.
Open Date: 11/04/2022
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
* Date of Birth
* Social Security Number
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission.
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
Security sensitive; All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). CBCs will be conducted for all candidates invited for an on-campus interview.
UTRGV is a distributed institution. As such and as assigned, the position may require presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Work is performed primarily in a general office environment. This position is security sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215. The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length. This position has the option to elect the Optional Retirement Program (ORP) instead of TRS, subject to the position being 40 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
Texas law requires faculty members whose primary language is not English to demonstrate proficiency in English as determined by a satisfactory paper-based test score of 500 (computer-based of 173 or internet-based of 61) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a satisfactory test score of 6.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Incomplete applications will not be considered. All positions are subject to budget approval.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/36402
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-c767254e9c477e46aee7cd9a3f7b0a9b
More searches like this
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Senior Management & Heads of Department jobs in Edinburg
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Heads of department / Chairs of department jobs in Edinburg
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Other Senior Management jobs in Edinburg
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Academic Posts jobs in Edinburg
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Edinburg