Postdoctoral Research Associate / Fellow in Stellar Astrophysics
- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Camperdown, Australia
- $100,717 p.a. - $121,673 p.a. + 17% superannuation
- 14 Nov 2022
- End of advertisement period
- 12 Dec 2022
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Physics & Astronomy
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
- Full time 3 years fixed term, located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Physics
- Up to three positions are available
- Opportunity to contribute to research focused on asteroseismology, exoplanets or other related areas of stellar astrophysics
- Base Salary Level A/B $100,717 p.a. - $121,673 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney is welcoming applications for a Postdoctoral Research Associate/Fellow in Stellar Astrophysics. Up to three positions are available. The successful applicant will be working with Tim Bedding, Daniel Huber and colleagues within the Sydney Institute for Astronomy in the School of Physics.
The main focus of our group is asteroseismology, including data analysis and theoretical modelling. Current topics of interest include exoplanets, stellar rotation, stellar clusters and associations, and machine learning. We make extensive use of data from NASA's Kepler and TESS Missions, and also have access to ground-based facilities that include the Anglo-Australian Telescope, the European Southern Observatory, SONG, and CHARA.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- undertake and publish research in asteroseismology, exoplanets, or other related areas of stellar astrophysics
- develop your research profile through conferences and seminars
- support teaching activities via supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students.
The School of Physics at the University of Sydney is the leading Physics department in the country, with outstanding staff and students undertaking world-leading teaching and research. Our 114 academic staff and 157 postgraduate students conduct research across a vast range of interests from nanoparticles to clusters of galaxies and from theoretical modelling to laboratory experiments. With the support of 20+ professional, technical and administrative staff, the School of Physics teaches to a cohort of approximately 274 equivalent full-time student load (EFTSL) undergraduate students. With access to supercomputers, modern laboratory facilities and observatories, locally, nationally and internationally, the School of Physics is the premier environment for physics education and research. The School of Physics is committed to creating a diverse workplace by improving equity, access and opportunity. We want to create an environment where individuality is welcomed and celebrated. We are continuously working to identify and remove biases and barriers in an effort to make our workplace open, supportive and safe for everyone.
To learn more about the School of Physics, click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a
Postdoctoral Research Associate/Fellow in Stellar Astrophysics who has:
- a PhD (or near completion) in astrophysics or a related field
- demonstrated ability to conduct research/scholarly activities under limited supervision
- the ability to supervise students at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- demonstrated evidence of independent research ability, and publication of results
- the ability and willingness to collaborate in teams and contribute to long-term research goals.
The commencement level will be determined based on the candidate's skills, experience, and knowledge.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications should include: cover letter, CV, list of publications, statement of research interests (about 2-3 pages), and contact details for three referees. Applications should be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or any documents in alternate formats, please contact Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on +61 2 8627 7137 or by email email@example.com
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Monday 12 December 2022 11:59 PM
More searches like this
- Physics & Astronomy Academic Posts Australia jobs in Camperdown
- Physics & Astronomy Research Fellowships Australia jobs in Camperdown
- Physics & Astronomy Postdocs Australia jobs in Camperdown
- Physics & Astronomy Research Related Australia jobs in Camperdown
- Physics & Astronomy Research Associate Australia jobs in Camperdown