Research Engineer, Mechanical
We have an opening for a highly motivated engineer to work in two year fully funded project on mechanical design optimisation and testing. The engineer will work closely with the project team to design a lightweight clamp, perform weight optimisation of the clamp and evaluate the mechanical behaviour (through experimental testing) of the component.
- Design a new clamp based on existing prototypes
- Perform structural optimisation based on finite element analysis and optimisation algorithms
- Design and fabricate mechanical testing tools to test the clamp
- Evaluate the performance of the clamp, both in the lab as well as in the field
- Coordinate procurement of necessary equipment or tools and liaise with vendors/suppliers.
- Compile and analyse data, write reports and present findings in project meetings.
- Ensure proper operations and maintenance of equipment.
- Ensure compliance with Work, Safety and Health Regulations.
- A good degree in the area of Mechanical Engineering/Materials Science Engineering from a recognised University. Possessing a Master’s degree will be advantageous.
- An interest in, and relevant competencies in any or more of the following: finite element analysis, optimisation algorithms, mechanical characterisation of materials.
- Strong analytical skills combined with a hands-on approach.
- Comfortable with both simulation and experimental techniques
- A high degree of initiative and able to work independently but closely with other members of a multi-disciplinary team which includes the industry and government agencies.