Research Fellow (Food Science and Technology / Chemical Engineering), Project
As a University of Applied Learning, SIT works closely with industry in our research pursuits. Our research staff will have the opportunity to be equipped with applied research skill sets that are relevant to industry demands while working on research projects in SIT.
The primary responsibility of this role is to deliver on an industry innovation research project where you will be part of the research team to develop plant-based food prototypes.
- Participate in and manage the research project with Principal Investigator (PI), Co-PI and the research team members to ensure all project deliverables are met.
- Undertake these responsibilities in the project:
- Perform fermentation and optimization of GRAS microorganisms at 1-10 L fermentation scale.
- Design and optimise downstream bioprocessing for protein recovery.
- Perform characterization of protein isolates for incorporation into food model systems.
- Carry out Risk Assessment, and ensure compliance with Work, Safety and Health Regulations.
- Coordinate procurement and liaison with vendors/suppliers.
- Work independently, as well as within a team, to ensure proper operation and maintenance of equipment.
- Mentor students who are doing Capstone Projects associated with this project.
- Have relevant experience in fermentation, bioreactor optimization, and downstream processing.
- Have a Ph.D. degree in Food Science and Technology or Chemical Engineering, or other relevant disciplines.