Postgraduate Online Dissertation Supervisors
Job title: Postgraduate Online Dissertation Supervisors
Job reference: 0000018374
Date posted: 09/11/2022
Application closing date: 15/01/2023
Salary: Grade 6: £42,155 - £51,805 (pro-rata)
Contractual hours: 15
Basis: Part Time
Postgraduate Online Dissertation Supervisors (Multiple Roles) – Part Time, Fixed Term
Edinburgh Napier Business School is one of the largest modern Business Schools, in the number one Modern University in Scotland, with a strong academic reputation in undergraduate, postgraduate, executive education and business research. The school is focused on the delivery of a portfolio of programmes, which reflect the needs of students and places greater emphasis on practical experiences and the application of learning.
We are in an exciting phase of growth, as part of our ambitious strategy to be ‘The Business School for Empowerment, Enterprise and Employability for All’, and this is a key role in the School.
To learn more about our Business School, watch this short video.
A key area of success for Edinburgh Napier Business School has been its growth in online education, with almost 2,000 students from over 80 countries, on Global Online programmes. We have ambitious plans to grow our Global Online academic provision.
We are currently recruiting for experienced Postgraduate Online Dissertation Supervisors to provide postgraduate supervision to Online MSc Dissertations and MBA Projects in various disciplines: Management, HR, Marketing, Banking and Finance and Entrepreneurship.
This post would suit academics at various career stages, including early career academics looking to build a portfolio career or established academics looking to combine work with other responsibilities and who are looking for flexibility. The position is home-based with no fixed core hours, although there are workload peaks and troughs, mainly linked to providing marking and assessment feedback to set timescales.
As supervisor, you will guide the student in their chosen research area and discuss the various elements of the research and dissertation. You will provide support and constructive feedback during development of the research proposal and mark and comment on the submitted assignment. You will then supervise the final dissertation/project stage, providing feedback aligned with the appropriate benchmark levels and criteria. You will normally be expected to mark and grade the final dissertation/project as first marker and second marker.
You will have excellent communication skills and effective interpersonal skills with the ability to listen, engage and inspire others, particularly within an online environment. You will be working closely with the module team and programme teams in delivering an excellent student experience. You will contribute to the University's objective of growing our academic reputation for online education.
Who We Are Looking For
You must have:
- A doctoral degree in a relevant business discipline (Management, HR, Marketing, Banking and Finance or Entrepreneurship)
- Experience of supervising postgraduate dissertations in either in a face to face, distance learning, or online environment
- Sufficient familiarity with relevant research methods and approaches as applied to business-related topics and contexts
- Ability to communicate accurately and fluently at a high level of English proficiency both verbally and in writing
- Ability to respond sensitively to students with different needs and backgrounds
- Demonstrable and up-to-date IT skills e.g. use of a Virtual Learning Environment, Microsoft Office 365, online marking tools, video conferencing tools
For more information on this role, please find the full job description linked here.
Benefits We Offer
Salary: Grade 6 £42,155 - £51,805 (pro-rata)
How to Apply
Please apply by sending your CV and a copy of the completed the Application Details form (click here to view) to Staffing Applications (including the role you're applying for in the subject field) at email@example.com.
Please note, we require both your CV and application details form to review your application.
Closing date: Sunday 15th January 2023
Please note we start screening CVs and interviewing candidates from the start of the campaign. A successful candidate could progress to offer before the advertised closing date. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible and send in your CV if you are interested in these roles.
- All Candidates will be required to demonstrate their ability to live and work in the UK and that they are subject to UK taxes.
- Candidates will work remotely.
- All Candidates will be subject to Edinburgh Napier University's terms and conditions of employment.
- Please note that the successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK by the start of their employment. We are unable to sponsor any candidate for this role.
For any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Edinburgh Napier is committed to creating an environment where everyone feels proud, confident, challenged and supported and are holders of Disability Confident, Carer Positive and Stonewall Diversity Champion status. Please see here for more information.