[AY 23-24] Vice Dean – College of Arts and Sciences
The College of Arts and Sciences is the first home for all students enrolled at VinUniversity as they embark on a nuanced journey of self-discovery in a state-of-the-art tertiary education designed in collaboration with leading universities in the world, top minds in Vietnam and passionate stakeholders. In this sense, General Education at VinUniversity is essentially a “gateway” between past and future, theory and practice, and local and global. This is where students, faculty and staff collectively take the first step towards realizing VinUniversity’s mission of contributing to the betterment of Vietnam and the world.
Our College of Arts and Sciences takes inspiration from the three principles of education reform, namely “dan toc” [nation], “khoa hoc” [science] and “dai chung” [people] put forth by Vietnam’s longest-serving Minister of Education, the late Professor Nguyen Van Huyen, who strived to develop an education system to build a modern nation for all Vietnamese citizens in the trying times of post-independence Vietnam.
For the betterment of Vietnam as a nation and to contribute to the world as members of the global community, General Education at VinUniversity begins with developing in each individual a conscientious and critical understanding of the self, Vietnam and the world. To develop a reflexive understanding of the self, we encourage students to step out of their comfort zone, self-cultivate an open mind, and most importantly, dare to dream! Yet, to be able to do so means developing a grounded and critical understanding of the past and present of Vietnam, how we understand ourselves and how others try to understand us, and finally, how we could together look to the future. To find our place in the world and to have a voice in how our future could be, General Education at VinUniversity is thoroughly infused with a global-local approach in the design of class-based courses and co-curricular programs. We approach the global with a view that “digital is the new global” and ask, “What are the possibilities we may uncover in the age of globalization underlined by digital infusion?”.
To fully explore possibilities of how the digital could change the world and help us fulfil the primary mission of VinUniversity, the College of Arts and Sciences at VinUni aspires to become a model bona-fide interdisciplinary core curriculum in Vietnam. Taking onboard experiences in multi-disciplinary, cross-disciplinary, and interdisciplinary research and teaching from across the world and different intellectual traditions, we adopt a grounded but innovative approach in the design of courses in collaboration with faculty, students, and relevant stakeholders in state and society. Serving as the core curriculum for all VinUniversity students, each course in the College of Arts and Sciences is designed to plant the seeds that will help students ask “big questions” about the past and present, develop the capacity to learn new skills and bridge the gap between theory and practice. Our co-curricular programs, planned in collaboration with a wide of range external stakeholders, extend beyond the initial year to take students out of the classrooms to fully reap the benefits of experiential learning.
To competently serve society with heart and mind, the College of Arts and Sciences seeks to begin cultivating in each student six identified attributes, namely: Character, Competence, Critical Thinking, Leadership, Entrepreneurship, and National Pride-Global Awareness. Right from the beginning, we encourage students to ask the questions, “what could you do for society” and “how would you go about actualizing your goals?” To enable students to be a part of VinUniversity’s founding mission, we seek to develop future leaders who take pride in their national heritage, are global-minded, have character, and possess an entrepreneurial spirit. The College of Arts and Sciences is where this journey begins.POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure alignment of the vision and goals of the College with the vision and mission of VinUniversity.
- Promote, encourage, and initiate interdisciplinary collaborations within the College and across the Colleges at VinUniversity.
- Oversee education frameworks in the College and make sure the education frameworks meet the evolving mission of the College, align with the College’s strategic plan, and meet the needs of students and faculty.
- Work with all constituency groups to ensure that the education frameworks of the College achieve high global/national/regional ranking, and a good placement with respect to the College’s peer or aspirational benchmark group.
- Support recruitment and retention of high-quality faculty and staff.
- Support the faculty to develop outstanding research portfolio and outcomes.
- Collaborate with the university’s admission division to recruit, retain, and graduate high-quality students.
- Lead and ensure student success in and beyond the classroom by building high-quality educational and life-supporting programs.
- Develop and build mutually beneficial partnerships between the College and business/industry, not-for-profit organizations, and other educational institutions. Nurture industry relationships that provide student intenships, graduate career opportunities, scholarships, and other fundraising prospects. Play the role of a key contact to promote/collaborate with Vingroup P&Ls and Vietnamese authorities.
- Lead and oversee efficient and effective internal operations of the College.
- Lead the planning and development of action plans and budgets.
- Ensure effective communications with VinUniversity’s leaders and other departments.
- Play a key role in Research, External Engagement, and Academic matters.
- Leading role in the development of the academic programs and curriculum design.
- Qualify for appointment as an associate professor or professor in the field of Political Science, Entrepreneurship, Liberal Arts, Economics, and History, Culture, Communication, Public Management, Public Leadership, Education in an accredited university.
- Doctoral degree required, preferred from a prestige institution.
- At least five years’ successful experience in progressively responsible teaching, research, educational, and administrative leadership positions in a university setting.
- Demonstrated successful experience in strategic planning, fiscal management, resource allocation, and personnel supervision.
- Have a high spirit and strong passion for education; demonstrate distinction and/or strong potential in research; Agile to embrace changes and take on new challenges; open-minded to new and different environments; team-player willing to contribute to organizational goals and initiatives.
- Broad knowledge of the philosophy and mission of private universities.
- Knowledge of curriculum design and its application to sound academic management.
- Ability and skill in the design and application of methods for the evaluation of faculty and staff.
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, complex ideas and recommendations.
- Ability to carry out the functions of leadership along a planned program of institutional direction.
- Ability to manage a college/school academic budget; ability to establish and monitor fiscal accountability within the areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff, and students as well as community groups of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Possess strong professional networks.
The salary benefits are internationally competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
Work permit: VinUniversity will assist in and provide advice for obtaining the necessary paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, work permit, insurance, etc.). However, it is your responsibility to ensure that you can satisfy all the paper requirements in a timely manner.
According to Vietnamese Law, expatriates are required to submit all necessary documents for a work permit on the first day in Vietnam. For more information about the necessary documents, please refer to the information in this link.
Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living and expatriates can live a very comfortable life here with a moderate expenditure.HOW TO APPLY
Please apply via https://apply.interfolio.com/117130 and submit: a cover letter, a resume and a list of two references.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.