Professor / Associate Professor of Management
- Based at our Melbourne Burwood Campus or Geelong Waterfront Campus
- Full-time and continuing
- Level D or Level E
Deakin Business school is seeking to appoint a Professor or Associate Professor of Management as part of the Department of Management.
The research of the Department of Management has been rated “above world standard” by the Australian Federal Government’s Excellence in Research in Australia assessment in 2018. According to the Australian Research Magazine, Deakin it is the top institution in Australia for international business and business ethics and is host to the leading researchers in human resource and organizations and business ethics.
Members of the department publish in leading journals including the Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Applied Psychology, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Management, Human Resource Management, Personnel Psychology and Leadership Quarterly.
The Department runs a PhD program with significant coursework component, organizes a research seminar series and regular workshops, and enjoys a vibrant and stimulating research environment.
The Associate Professor will contribute to the Department’s teaching across all levels and undertake and publish high-quality research in national and international journals. Actively participate in and secure external research funding; foster relationships with research, industry, community, government, and professional partners including higher education institutions.
The Professor will provide outstanding academic leadership in innovative teaching and impactful research including working with and mentoring more junior colleagues and immersing in quality HDR student supervision and industry engagement activities.
The successful candidate will be appointed based on experience relevant to the role.
Key responsibilities for the Professor role will include:
- Provide leadership and collaborate hands-on with teaching teams to help design, develop, and renew courses and materials that embed innovation and employability in the curriculum design and pedagogy
- Collaborate with teaching teams to deliver on learner-centric, research and industry employability informed teaching content, and innovations for engagement in student management and modes of delivery
- Work collaboratively with teaching teams on assessment and feedback for students to promote student engagement, embed employability, and facilitate learning outcomes
- Collaborate to provide academic support to students in relation to their academic pursuits
- Work collaboratively to provide input to the university for the improvement of student support services through new strategy, policy and frameworks
- Assist in the building of effective unit, course, and discipline teaching teams
- Provide leadership in mentoring of more junior colleagues formally and informally to assist in the development of teaching and learning skills and experience
- Lead productive, high-quality research and scholarship activities generating scholarly and high impact output
- Develop and lead academic or other collaborations that enable novel research activities recognised internationally
- Demonstrate sustained and substantial national and international reputation as world leader, based on extensive body of work, recognized for quality, excellence and impact
- Develop and lead teams and succeed in securing funding for large scale/strategic research or intra- and inter-disciplinary research collaborations and/or industry partnerships and collaboration to enable innovative solutions through policies frameworks, strategy, priority setting for future translation into real world impact
- Lead the development and contribute to the implementation of the Department’s culture and collegiality and productivity as a senior staff member and as a discipline leader, and through also informal leadership and contributory roles across the University to deliver core outcomes
Key selection criteria for the Professor role:
- PhD in a relevant discipline
- Evidence of original, innovative and distinguished contribution to scholarship and teaching, research and research supervision
- Extensive experience in undergraduate and postgraduate course development, teaching innovation and supervision at honours and/or doctoral levels.
- Demonstrated success as an eminent authority at the national and international level in research and scholarship through publications in high quality journals
- Success in obtaining competitive external research grants
- Excellence in engagement with research, community, industry and government to enhance the national and international standing of the discipline
- Evidence of successful leadership of teaching, research and/or administration, with a strong focus on mentoring colleagues in relation to all aspects of academia and industry/professional engagement, and working with colleagues directly on research and teaching development projects
Applications for this position close on 31 December 2022
Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (Professor role)
- Occasional interstate or overseas travel may be required and regular travel within Victoria will be required.
- Working with Children Check
Please submit your resume, a short cover letter and responses to the Key Selection Criteria with reference to the position descriptions listed above.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Alexander Newman, Head of Department, Management and Alfred Deakin Professor, via email@example.com
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.