Research Associate in the Department of Vascular Biology & Inflammation
To conduct a period of original research leading to publications and future grant application working with Prof Luigi Gnudi - School of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine & Sciences. Prof Gnudi is an internationally recognised clinical scientist who has described novel important role of vascular growth factors (angiopoietins) in the renal vasculature.
This project will look at kidney disease as an important vascular complication of diabetes and at a novel identified molecule that modulates the angiopoietin signalling by acting on Tie-2/Tie-1 receptor. We will test whether Tie1 inducible deletion, specifically in endothelial cells influences healthy and diabetic kidneys and whether Tie-1 can be modulated as a target for treatment of the diabetic vasculature in the kidney.
This work will be conducted using state of the art technologies, in a vibrant environment of basic scientist, physiologist and clinicians, an ideal setting for translation of lab-based observations to the clinical setting.
This post will be offered on a fixed-term contract for 2 years and 6 months
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent
Interview will be planned early mid-January 2023, with position to start 1st of March 2023
• Develop the research work programme in discussion with the project lead and others.
• Work closely with the principal supervisors to refine the project protocols and to be responsible for ensuring that the research components of the project are carried out in a timely and effective way.
• Co-ordinate the work undertaken for the research projects.
• Ensure timely and appropriate documentation of data relevant to the research projects.
• Review relevant literature, including the synthesis and reporting on work carried out by others in related areas.
• Ensure that appropriate ethical clearance is obtained for all research activity.
• Oversee and lead on the preparation of research instruments.
• Oversee and lead on the collection and analysis of data.
• Take the lead in drafting conference papers and papers for publication.
• Present findings to different audiences and attend relevant conferences.
• Oversee the work of potential MSc and BSc students, as agreed with the project supervisors.
• Collaborate actively within and outside the Cardiovascular Division and BHF Centre of Research Excellence to complete research projects and advance thinking.
• Carry out departmental administration duties as required.
• Compliance always with the requirements of the Health and Safety regulations with responsibility for the health, safety, and welfare of others in the working environment.
• Ensure confidentiality on all matters and information obtained during employment.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. BSc (at least 2:1)
3. Able to work independently
4. Animal work experience and/or willingness to work with animals
5. Previous experience in basic science research
6. Good organisation skills
7. Good presentation skills
8. Good IT skills
9. Excellent communication, interpersonal skills, and team player
11. Academic Prizes
12. Knowledge of vascular renal physiology
13. Committed to own continuing professional development and willing to undertake any training required