Research Associate in Energy Studies Institute, Carbon Pricing and Climate Finance
- Full Time
Energy Studies Institute (ESI)
The Energy Studies Institute (ESI) is a research institute at the National University of Singapore seeking to advance the understanding of energy policy issues by conducting independent research and analysis. We are looking for researchers to join a multi-disciplinary team carrying out research projects on a range of energy issues that are of concern to Singapore and the region.
The Institute is looking to recruit a specialist in carbon pricing analysis at the rank of Research Associate. The appointed staff will operate under the responsibility of the Institute Head and work closely with all members across each of the institute’s divisions.
Candidates are expected to be highly familiar with finance, and ideally had formal training in finance, financial economics or a closely related area. An understanding of Singapore's economic system and local work experience is desirable. The appointed candidate is also expected to have a sound awareness of current and emerging trends in carbon pricing and carbon taxes within Singapore.
The specific area of work will depend on the priorities of the institute at any given point in time. In the near term, to support ongoing and expanding future research within the institute, the appointed candidate will be expected to commit to analysing various issues surrounding carbon pricing, climate finance and ESG (environmental, social and governance) investing, including but not limited to corporate response to carbon pricing, corporate motivations for internal carbon pricing and sustainable investing, ESG performance and its impacts, green/climate bond, stranded assets, climate stress testing, greenwashing.
Examples of priority areas include:
- Empirically explore how climate finance and carbon pricing impact economic competitiveness of firms and industries in Singapore.
- To understand the speed and extent of adoption of internal carbon pricing practices, and other company-level climate finance related practices (including but not limited to ESG reporting).
- Researching into how other countries have implemented carbon pricing schemes and what their impacts have been.
- Support in conducting statistical and econometric analyses primarily with Python/R.
The above list is not exhaustive, moreover, at any given point in time the institute undertakes multiple projects in parallel and opportunity will exist to participate in a variety of workstreams that align with your interests.
- Possess a Master's degree in finance, economics or other related fields, with specific application to energy, environmental or climate issues, or possess a Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics or other related fields with at least 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Applicants should have demonstrated experience in quantitative data analysis.
- A good contemporary understanding and interest in energy and environmental issues.
- Relevant working and practical experience in industry or government agencies in the area of energy and environment in Singapore would be highly valuable.
- Track record of publications in reputable journals would be an advantage.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
To apply for this position, please combine the following documents in 1 PDF and attach it under the CV column when submitting your application:
- Curriculum vitae
- A cover letter, of no more than 800 words, explaining the applicant’s past research experience and aptitude in relation to the research project
Interested candidates, please submit your application with all the required documents. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified. Shortlisted applicants may be called for interview, either in person or by zoom, as appropriate. If you have not heard from us within 3 months, you should assume that your application has not been successful.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Energy Studies Institute
Department : Research
Job requisition ID : 16960