Teaching Assistant (NUS Cities)
- Full Time
Most of the world now live in cities. Liveable, sustainable and resilient cities are needed to face the looming challenges of climate change, the next pandemics, ageing populations and technological, social and economic disruptions such as what we are currently experiencing.
NUS Cities is an open, collaborative and inclusive platform comprising education, research and advisory services that will draw on the varied talent and expertise of the university in its colleges, faculties and departments and centre of excellence. It aims to educate the next generation of students as well as current practitioners to take an urban systems approach to plan, govern, build and manage cities, using a strong case-based approach taught by both practitioners and academics. Its research will be inter-disciplinary, taking a system approach to tackle some of our biggest urban challenges, and in the process, gradually developing a Science of Cities. It will also provide strategic advisory services to organisations and cities. NUS Cities will also partner other universities and research institutions locally and internationally, as well as with industry partners worldwide.
We are building up our pipeline of talent and are looking for highly motivated individuals who have a curiosity and passion to learn, teach and research about cities in our various programmes. We promise an exciting journey with us as we build and grow NUS Cities.
The successful candidate for this Teaching Assistant position will be part of the NUS Cities teaching team which teaches undergraduate core and minor modules. The full-time appointment is for a contract period of 2 or 3 years with the possibility of extension.
- Assist in the conduct of online and in-person tutorials with the Studio Leaders/Practitioners.
- Provide support to students via email during office hours.
- Provide administrative support and assist in the day-to-day running of the module(s).
- Prepare undergraduate/minor educational resources and course materials.
- Evaluate module assessment components.
- A Bachelor’s degree or Masters’ degree, or recent PhD in a relevant discipline.
- Candidates must have excellent verbal, reading, and written skills and the ability to explain difficult concepts across clearly.
- Be able to work well independently and with a multi-disciplinary team with diverse interests.
- Strong interest in urban sciences/cities-related disciplines, as well as teaching and learning methods.
- Strong ability to engage and facilitate discussions with undergraduate students.
- Prior teaching/facilitation experience with good student feedback will put candidates in a strong standing.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: College of Design and Engineering
Department : Architecture
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 17362