Head of Department of Chemical Engineering
Role type: Fixed term 3 Years
Hours: Full time / Part time 1.0 FTE
Faculty: Faculty of Engineering & Information Technology (FEIT)
Salary: Associate Professor Level D or Professor level E plus 17% super
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s #1 university and is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
The Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT)
The Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT) has been the leading Australian provider of engineering and IT education and research for over 150 years. We are a multidisciplinary School organised into three key areas; Computing and Information Systems (CIS), Chemical and Biomedical Engineering (CBE) and Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering (EMI). FEIT continues to attract top staff and students with a global reputation and has a commitment to knowledge for the betterment of society.
The Department of Chemical Engineering
The Department of Chemical Engineering hosts several Research Centres including the Peter Cook Centre for Carbon Capture and Research, the ARC Dairy Innovation Research Hub, the Particulate Fluids Processing Centre and the ARC Centre of Excellence in Convergent Bio-Nano Science and Technology.
Our laboratories are housed across four locations including a substantially renovated main building, a second building devoted exclusively to research, two floors within the nearby Chemistry building and a presence within the Bio21 Institute. Our academics have been elected as Fellows of the Royal Society, the world’s oldest scientific society, the Australian Academy of Science, and the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering http://www.chemeng.unimelb.edu.au/
About the role:
The Head of Department is a key academic leader in the School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering (CBE) who is responsible for leading and managing all operational and strategic plans across the Chemical Engineering Department.
This position will align the Department goals with the strategic plans of both the School and the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT) 2025.
Providing leadership as a supervisor, mentor, and coach the Head of Department will develop the capability and knowledge across the academic team supporting them to delivery excellence in Teaching and Research.
You will have proven excellence, and a world class reputation, in teaching and research, you lead by example and encourage, support and mentor academic employees in the pursuit of our goals whilst exhibiting our expect FEIT values.
Criteria essential to the role:
- PhD in Engineering or a relevant discipline aligned with the disciplines of the Department.
- Demonstrated leadership capability with experience managing resources to achieve clear objectives whilst engaging and aligning team(s) around the operational and strategic plans.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and providing guidance and dependable judgement in all matters academic across a complex organisation such as a large Department, covering all aspects of teaching and research, as well as staff supervision.
For additional Key Search Criteria and specific responsibilities of this role please refer to the attached Position Description.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, please visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria* (found in the Position Description) for the role.
Applications close: 11th December 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Position description: 0057148-PD-Head of Department-CE.pdf