Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Advanced 2D Materials
The Centre for Advanced 2D Materials (CA2DM) at National University of Singapore (NUS) is recruiting a Senior Research Fellow for the new CBMM-CA2DM Advanced Battery Laboratory. This laboratory/pilot plant will focus on the research and development of advanced sustainable Niobium-Graphene batteries. This work will be done in direct collaboration with a strategic industrial partner: CBMM, the global leader in Niobium technology and products.
The objective of the new laboratory/pilot plant is to generate intellectual property for NUS and work towards the industrialisation of new-generation batteries, with a clear objective of creating spin-off companies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the overall battery laboratoy/pilot plant works: sharing strategic ideas, existing and new protocols and know-how, monitoring the progress of the research and operations, spearheading the deliverables and IP strategies in order to ensure that milestones are met and timelines stay on track
- Bring a technology-focused maturation perspective to execute the battery laboratory roadmap
- Work closely with battery product development (from specifications to end use standards), CA2DM and CBMM business development, research and industrial personnel to understand the feed specifications, in-process conversions, as well as the pilot plant site requirements
- Implement and practice safe working practices and ensure that environmental, health and safety considerations are a priority in any new technology, product, or process implementation by guiding the management of change process for the laboratory
- During battery testing, collect and analyse critical data to help refine and size key unit operations, and evaluate the effectiveness of new research and development
- Interface with the multidisciplinary experimental, computational, and theoretical teams to support validating analytical models with data and iterate on products
- Using collected data, participate in design of future developments that will help CA2DM scale new technologies and processes to commercial success
- Hold a PhD degree in science or engineering in the area of energy storage
- Have hands-on experience designing, building, and testing pilot plants
- A minimum of five years of practical experience planning and performing laboratory experiments and troubleshooting, and strong understanding of the processes related to electrochemical active materials, battery manufacturing in pilot plant environment, and required characterisation techniques
- Experience with scaling-up battery processes, including a strong understanding of start-up/unsteady state operations, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics
- Familiar with process control interfaces and using data historians
- Experience analysing laboratory and/or field test data to correlate and validate analytical models
- Can lead operations and make continuous improvement during start-up and operation of pilot plants
- Have excellent communication skills and enjoy solving problems with limited information
- Are excited to work as part of a highly collaborative, dynamic, and diverse team
- Must be a team player
- Adhere to high ethical standards
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Centre for Advanced 2D Materials
Department: Experimental Group
Job requisition ID: 12625