Manager, Metadata and Discovery
- Flexible location
- Full-time and continuing
- HEW 8 - $105,612 - $120,918 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The primary purpose of the Manager, Metadata and Discovery is to ensure the Library’s collections and information resources are appropriately described, highly discoverable and accessible by the University community across a range a of discovery platforms and access channels. The role leads staff responsible for metadata strategy, creation, maintenance, and resource access as well as those who coordinate, maintain, and develop the systems and applications associated with these functions. Systems under the stewardship of this role include the integrated library management system, enterprise discovery layer as well as platforms that facilitate authentication to ensure compliance with electronic resource and content licenses can be met. Integrations between discovery and access systems and University enterprise databases and systems are within the scope of this role.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Leading and coordinating the staff, systems, processes and platforms that facilitate description and discoverability of Library resources and collections
- Analysing problems, weighing up a range of options to identify accessible and inclusive solutions and translating complex issues into clear and understandable goals and targets
- Developing, maintaining and using a variety of systems, processes, diverse range of people and sources to gather information and gain deeper understanding and making critical strategic decisions
- Acting as a coach and working with team members to facilitate growth and development
- Leading process change initiatives that increase value and efficiency of functions and services
- Working in collaboration with relevant key stakeholders in relation to the provision of effective services, systems and functions that facilitate high quality discovery and access
To be successful, you’ll have:
- Degree and/or postgraduate qualifications in library and information science conferring eligibility for Associate membership of the Australian Library and Information Association, or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or training
- Experience managing the provision of library systems including integrated library management systems, discovery, metadata and/or access functions within an academic library
- Knowledge of Metadata standards and protocols
- Knowledge of emerging trends related to discovery of information via a range of channels including search engines
- Experience managing systems, processes, and business improvement capabilities
- Extensive experience with metadata standards, authorisation and authentication platforms and protocols I
- Experience with integrated library systems and discovery interfaces such as Sierra, Ebsco Discovery Service
- Knowledge of authentication and access platforms and systems such as EZproxy
Applications for this position close on 9 November.
Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
Please submit your updated resume and a short cover letter outlining your skills and experience for this role.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Jane Miller, Director, Digital Libraries and Repositories, via firstname.lastname@example.org
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic, and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.