Manager, Scholarly Communication and Research Outputs
- Flexible location
- Full-time and continuing
- HEW 9 $122,771 - $130,125 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The Manager, Scholarly Communication and Research Outputs is responsible for leading the design, development and management of the Library's services designed to support Deakin’s enterprise research strategy including collection and stewardship of research data and outputs. The role leads the Library’s specialist services related to research bibliometrics and publications compliance reporting as well provision of expertise and advice regarding the scholarly publishing and communications landscape including open access and the opportunities to maximise publishing for impact. The role works in collaboration with staff across the Library, including Library Partners to facilitate delivery of research services to the University and leads a team of expert staff. The Manager collaborates closely with key University stakeholders including Faculties, Institutes and Deakin Research in ensuring that the Library’s services, business processes and workflows enable the effective capture of research outputs and data to support research quality assessment and compliance requirements.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Leading with values, ethics and emotional intelligence to grow team resilience, inclusion and performance and setting clear standards of expected behaviour and celebrate and reward outstanding performance
- Conceptualising local plans in alignment with University research strategy and monitoring progress and risks, adapting personal and team priorities and plans as required
- Designing, managing and evaluating the Library’s service offerings
- Overseeing and managing Library initiatives and projects that support Deakin’s research strategy
- Analysing problems, weighing up a range of options to identify accessible and inclusive solutions and translating complex issues into clear and understandable goals and targets
- Actively encouraging and coaching others to question traditional assumptions, promoting ideas and reviewing practices and policies and translating into workplace improvements
- Establishing and maintaining systems and procedures to guide work to facilitate Deakin’s ability to strive for research excellence
- Acting as a coach and working with team members to facilitate growth and development by giving balanced, constructive feedback considering individual capability and team performance
To be successful, you’ll have:
- Degree and/or postgraduate qualifications in library and information science conferring eligibility for Associate membership of the Australian Library and Information Association, or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or training
- Demonstrated experience supporting research in a University or similar environment
- Extensive knowledge of current research issues in higher education, trends in scholarly
- communication and Open Access publishing
- Extensive knowledge of bibliometrics reporting practices, impact and engagement measures, repository and research data management in a higher education environment
- Knowledge of research systems and repository platforms
- Demonstrated high level communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated experience in managing and leadings in a complex and dynamic environment
- Demonstrated experience leading an enterprise-wide service or process
Applications for this position close on 9 November.
Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
Please submit your updated resume and a short cover letter outlining your skills and experience for this role.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Jane Miller, Director, Digital Libraries and Repositories, via email@example.com
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic, and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.