Language Lecturer in EAP
Department: English Language Centre
Position: Language Lecturer in EAP
Location: Suzhou, China
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research- led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 21,000 students and more than 920 academic staff representing in excess of 89 nationalities.
About English Language Centre
At XJTLU, the English Language Centre (ELC) is a growing centre with approximately 200 full-time lecturers coming from a range of backgrounds, countries, and cultures. We are involved in teaching English for Academic Purposes (EAP) for all of Year 1, a cohort of over 5000 students the majority of whom are enrolled in our Core EAP stream oriented to CEFR A2- B1 language proficiency students. In addition, we teach EAP in Years 2 and 3 as well as have a growing and vibrant Postgraduate EAP programme of more than 2000 students, ranging from pre-master’s-oriented pre-sessionals to mock vivas and thesis writing boot camps for PhD students. All students in the university can also take advantage of our comprehensive continuous academic support programme.
ELC is especially proud to be the first institution outside the UK to be both accredited by British Association of Lecturers in EAP (BALEAP) and the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL). ELC staff enable and empower our students through expert and semi-specialised language and skills training. They develop multiple academic literacies that bring degree study success and so are held in high esteem. Career development support and possibilities for EAP practitioners and scholars are excellent, not least because we are in a phase of exciting renewal and growth both as an institution and as a centre. Our new campus at Taicang (opening August 2022), and our Learning Mall onsite-online ecosystem, are both emblematic of ongoing institutional developments.
ELC has several openings for Associate Language Lecturer, Language Lecturer and Senior Language Lecturer for suitably experienced, creative, and inspiring EAP teachers, and you are encouraged to apply for a position according to your education, qualifications, and experience. We will appoint at Associate Language Lecturer, Lecturer, Senior Language Lecturer as appropriate.
ELC at XJTLU is a teaching centre and the workload of Language Lecturers in EAP is shared between teaching, professional engagement, and service. Generally, teaching may be up to 20 hours per week, which might include the summer period.
- have a good standard of written and spoken English, as this is the working language of the university AND
- possess a master’s degree in TESOL or Education
- possess another master’s degree and have a minimum 2 years’ full-time post-master’s experience of teaching, assessing and/or developing materials for English for Academic Purposes courses, within a higher education i.e., university or college context (e.g., on a foundation year level)
- possess a language teaching qualification (e.g., DELTA or equivalent, CELTA, TESOL/TESL/TEFL, or PGCE + TESOL) be or working toward a Fellow or Senior Fellow, HEA can demonstrate a dynamic, current, and innovative engagement in one or more of the following areas:
- Technology Enhanced Language Learning (especially pedagogical uses of VR/AR/MR/AI/mobiles)
- Content and Language Integrated Learning
- All specialisms in EAP including writing centre development and the provision of online and other forms of student engagement and academic support; communicative and task-based methodologies; syllabus and materials design; skills-oriented assessment; problem-based language learning [preferably with emotional intelligence development embedded]; the promotion of learner autonomy; self-access and self-diagnostic language learning
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong‐Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 60 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one‐off allowances as o Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Kids’ education allowance o Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days) o Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave o Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
Please submit your application online at
https://career15.sapsf.cn/career?career_company=xjtlu (search requisition 2561). *A cover letter need not be uploaded separately as the system might request. However, in the resume section of our website, applications must be submitted in a single PDF file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
A cover letter (in your letter, please tell us where you saw the ad) A current CV
If available, please attach three reference letters, at least one of which is from a current or former line manager. If you cannot provide reference letters at the time of application, please include the names/titles/email contacts for three referees. In this case, referees are contacted only after you have received an offer of employment from XJTLU.
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry. For specific enquiries relating to online application, please email HRBP at email@example.com.