Assistant Professor in Marine Biology (Plankton and algae)
7 days left
- QATAR UNIVERSITY
- Qatar (QA)
- 25 Oct 2022
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Job Posting Title: IRC23550
Job Title: Assistant Professor in Marine Biology (Plankton and algae)
Organization Name: Biological and Environmental Sciences
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty who teach and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students - are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses nine departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature and Linguistics, Arabic Language, Mass Communication, History, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning and Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, and Environmental Sciences. The College also houses Master Programs, which are M.Sc. in Environmental Sciences, M.A. in Gulf Studies, M.A. in Arabic Language and Literature, M.Sc. in Materials Science and Technology, and M.Sc. in Applied Statistics. In addition to a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences and a PhD in Gulf Studies. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also, there are two established research centers namely the Center for Sustainable Development and the Gulf Studies Center.
It is worth mentioning that as members of Qatar University, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure internal and external funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 600,000$ per project along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach undergraduate and/or graduate courses in the area of expertise (Full time basis) such as, but not limited to Plankton Ecosystems, Fisheries and Aquaculture, Marine Ecology and Marine Ecosystem, and Special Topic courses in the candidate's area of expertise.
- Supervise graduate thesis research (M.Sc. and PhD) in the area of expertise.
- Write research proposals and initiate high quality research in the area of expertise.
- Contribute to various committees at the Program, College, and University levels.
- Contribute to the research profile of the department and College through research publications.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department.
- Doctorate (PhD) degree in the area of Marine Science, Aquatic Botany, Phycology, Aquaculture, Biological Oceanography and Coastal Sciences from a recognized university. For candidates with master and PhD degrees, it is preferable that both degrees are in one of the areas of expertise listed above.
- A record of distinguished scholarship (peer reviewed publication record), grant-funded research, and graduate student mentorship in the last 5 years.
- A good track record of research experience in marine phytoplankton physiological ecology, dynamics of harmful algal blooms, and phytoplankton/algae photosynthesis. Good experience in phytoplankton/algal molecular analyses is highly desirable.
- A minimum teaching experience of 5 years (full time basis) at the university level, graduate teaching is preferred.
- Familiar with Educational technologies used in the higher education sector.
- Willingness to work with teams.
- Awareness of working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Cover letter.
- Current Curriculum Vitae reflecting the following information:
- Years of experience after PhD
- H index
- Google scholar link
- ORCID NUMBER
- Number of publications published in Q1 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Q2 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Q3 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Q4 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Non-indexed Journals
- Number of Published Books
- Number of Published Chapter of Books
- Number of Graduate Students supervised and the role
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, a copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation deemed relevant to the application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
In case of queries, please contact the Head of Department: email@example.com
Job Category Academic
End Date of Advertisment 31-March-2023