Manager, Library Exhibitions and Public Programs
- Flexible location
- Full-time and continuing
- HEW 8 - $105,612 - $120,918 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
Deakin Library’s vision is to enable a vibrant, rich and inclusive ideas eco-system to flourish within Deakin, and contribute to the creation of a more informed, progressive and socially-just society globally. Sitting at the nexus of learning, teaching and research, the Library’s Exhibitions and Public Programs team is a key enabler for that vision. The Manager is responsible for growing this program over time, creating vibrant, rich and engaging experiences that focus on developing connections between Library and Archival collections and the teaching, learning and research outputs of the university to enrich the campus experience and foster a more vibrant interdisciplinary environment for students and staff while simultaneously opening up the university more actively to the public.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Lead the design and delivery of a complex program of innovative and meaningful exhibitions and events utilising spaces, expertise and physical and digital resources
- Contribute to the activation of Deakin’s campuses through audience engagement with the Library’s exhibitions and public programs
- Lead a high-performing team, promote effective teamwork and provide tailored coaching to enable individuals to deliver high quality solutions and the achievement of goals
- Develop a variety of systems, processes to inform the design and iteration of the library’s exhibitions and public programs
- Develop and deploy continuous improvement actions to ensure implementation of continuous improvement strategies
- Develop a network of useful contacts within Deakin and integrate perspectives held within different areas of the University to develop an innovative and inclusive program
- Improve the Library’s service offering by addressing client feedback and setting service standards
- Prepare tailored advice to meet specific stakeholder style and requirements
- Identify strategic opportunities and offer pragmatic, inclusive and sustainable solutions based on research and in alignment with University context, policies and practices
To be successful, you’ll have:
- Relevant postgraduate qualifications or progress towards postgraduate qualifications in communications, cultural heritage studies or related disciplines, and extensive relevant experience; or
- Curatorial or experience with exhibitions and events in the Galleries, Libraries, Archives, Museums and Records (GLAMR) sector
- Demonstrated experience in working with stakeholders to source and curate scholarly, creative and cultural assets and professional services and facilities in line with procedures and delegations as well as ensure the appropriate care and preservation of scholarly, creative and cultural assets throughout the program lifecycle
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with planning, monitoring and delivering a complex program of innovative, and meaningful exhibitions and events utilising spaces, expertise and physical and digital resources
- Experience leading successful large-scale events and public programs
Applications for this position close on 9 November.
Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
Please submit your updated resume and a short cover letter outlining your skills and experience for this role.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Clare Carlsson on email@example.com
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic, and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.