Professor in Supply Chain Management
School: School of Intelligent Finance and Business, XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang)
Academic Discipline: Supply chain management (quantitative preferred), operation management, information systems, and management science
Location: Taicang, Greater Suzhou, China
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has around 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT XJTLU ENTREPRENEUR COLLEGE (TAICANG)
In 2019, the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) was launched, as a pioneers of, and an educational model for, the future university and campus in developing talents and leaders to meet local, national, and global challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution.
Developed in collaboration with the Taicang Municipal Government and industry partners, the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) moved to the university’s newly opened award winning Taicang campus, within Greater Suzhou, in September 2022. As a result, there are opportunities at all levels for innovative academics in the fields represented by the following schools and education platforms:
- School of AI and Advanced Computing
- School of Intelligent Finance and Business
- School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem
- School of Internet of Things
- School of CHIPS
- School of Robotics
- School of Cultural Technology (part of the Academy of Film and Creative Technology)
- School of Film and TV Arts (part of the Academy of Film and Creative Technology, located in the SIP Campus)
- Entrepreneur and Enterprise Hub
ABOUT THE SCHOOL OF INTELLIGENT FINANCE AND BUSINESS
The school of Intelligent Finance and Business is one of 7 industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang), and there is the capacity to grow further within the college to a total of 10 schools. Common to each School is an Education, Research and Development Institute (“ERDI”) for teaching and university-business research collaboration, a professional services centre supporting daily activities of students, staff, and business partners, and a School Affiliated Company, which has been jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s industry partner for practical on-the-job learning and teaching. The governance and management of the School is through a School Council. The Dean of School oversees the School Management Team as well as contributing to the leadership of the XJTLU Entrepreneur College.
The School of Intelligent Finance and Business is jointly developed by the University and an industry partner, AMT, to deliver the industry-themed programme(s). The first degree programme that the School has launched for the Academic Year 2019/2020 is BSc Intelligent Supply Chain.
The candidate will be a senior member of staff in the School and will be responsible to the Dean for the effective management and administration of the School’s activities. Through their leadership, the candidate will ensure that the School meets its ambitious targets by creating an intellectually stimulating and vibrant environment in which its students and staff can flourish.
The broad dimensions of the post are to:
- Lead and grow the research and academic profile of the Schools subject area in collaboration with the School’s industrial partners.
- Provide leadership and vision for the future direction and development of School research and teaching.
- Shape the School’s research strategy, deliver high-quality research, and support entrepreneurial-focused teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Take on leadership, management, and external engagement activities to support the School.
- Be a strong advocate for the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) nationally and internationally.
- The School of Intelligent Finance and Business is adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE). SE is a new model that has been developed by the University to address future challenges from the 4th Industrial Revolution and is a core part of the University’s strategy for the next ten-year development that stresses innovation and entrepreneurship. SE aims at training syntegrative leaders with Management skills, International perspective, Discipline-specific knowledge, and adaptability in Industry (MIDI).
- The position seeks individuals who will echo these values and are passionate about undergraduate and graduate student engagement. The University seeks faculty members who can model the excitement of engagement, discovery, and creativity and who are committed to education as an integrated and transformational process.
We are looking for future colleagues from the above-mentioned fields who can:
- Engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches;
- Deliver high-quality teaching to undergraduate and graduate students, as evidenced for example by peers, students and external examiners;
- Supervise undergraduate students and postgraduate students;
- Conduct high-quality research, as shown by publications in leading journals;
- Provide administrative service to the School, the University and its stakeholders;
- Contribute to the school’s business engagement initiatives by building extensive industry collaborative partnerships;
- Contribute to the creation and support of a healthy industry-enhanced research environment, with agreed annual research outcomes and expectations, an emphasis on impact creation and funded quality research;
- Contribute to the school’s teaching development through mentoring and supporting early career academics;
- Work collaboratively with program director, Director of ERDI and Dean of the school to ensure that the school and curriculum design delivers an inclusive, enriching, and enabling learning experience
Successful applicants to the position of Professor are expected to have:
- A PhD degree in areas such as: supply chain management, operation management, business analytics, information system management, and management science; or be able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement. Quantitative approach to research is preferred;
- Self-motivation for innovative teaching with knowledge of relevant developments in learning and teaching practices;
- A proven record of academic publications in leading journals, ABS (3 stars or above), ABDC (A or A*);
- A strong track record of engagement with business and industry; and strong motivation to engage the industry in developing teaching content and research ideas;
- Some experience of working in a relevant industry would be an advantage;
- A high level of communicative competence in English; an equivalent knowledge of Chinese would be an advantage;
- For non-Chinese applicants, two years full time teaching in a college/university is required by the Chinese work permit policy;
- For candidates coming from a practitioner’s background or more experiences in industry engagement, we equally welcome those who have familiarity with the use of enterprise resource planning (SAP), inventory and warehouse management, purchasing and negotiation, or experiences with specialised areas such as supply chain finance, and supply chains for maritime logistics/food/automotive & aerospace/semiconductors & electronics /retail & services;
- Outstanding leadership and management experience, and ability to motivate and inspire teams with good interpersonal skills;
- Candidates with administration and management experience in international universities or Sino-foreign joint universities are preferred.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website via:
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References