Associate Professor / Senior Lecturer in Food Systems
- Full time continuing employment, located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Life and Environmental Sciences
- Exciting opportunity for a talented and motivated Senior Lecturer or Associate Professor in Food Systems to join the Faculty of Science
- Base Salary Level C/D $138,645 p.a. - $183,911 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The School of Life and Environmental Sciences (SOLES) at The University of Sydney is seeking to appoint a Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor in Food Systems. The University of Sydney has strengths in agriculture, food engineering, and nutrition, and several world-class research groupings relevant to food and nutrition research including the Charles Perkins Centre, the Sydney Institute of Agriculture, and the Plant Breeding Institute. The University places emphasis on research and teaching excellence and on research with impact. It is seeking to enhance its strength in food systems teaching and research through the appointment of a Level C or D academic.
The successful applicant will have a track record of excellence in research publications, successful applications for research funding, and productive collaborations nationally and internationally. The applicant should articulate a vision for potential collaboration within SOLES, across the University of Sydney beyond, and the synergy of their work with current research in SOLES. Experience in working in interdisciplinary research environments is desirable, and expertise that bridges agriculture, food, and nutrition will be preferred. It is expected that the successful applicant would lead major funding applications with colleagues in food systems, food security, and other areas in the School, together with industry partners where appropriate.
SOLES has a program of undergraduate teaching in food science and in nutrition from first year to Honours level. The successful applicant will be expected to assist in curriculum development to better incorporate food systems into the Food Science and Nutrition Science Majors and teach in a range of subjects specific to food science, including those in Food Quality, Safety, and Processing, and Value Adding.
The successful applicant should also be able to recruit University of Sydney Honours and Higher Degree Research (including PhD) students. Projects offered will need to inspire students to contribute to solving major national and international challenges in food systems. The successful applicant will also be expected to participate in management and administration and should be able to demonstrate a strong commitment to the promotion of teaching and learning.
The School of Life and Environmental Sciences (SOLES) brings together researchers in the life, earth and environmental sciences to improve teaching and build new infrastructure to support and enhance capacity in research and teaching. It is a large School divided into three Research and Teaching Themes. SOLES currently teaches 1892 equivalent full-time student load (EFTSL) undergraduate students and over 200 postgraduate students.
To learn more about the School of Life and Environmental Sciences, click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor in Food Systems who has:
- a PhD in an appropriate area of food science or food systems
- substantial experience in food systems research, preferably with an emphasis on bridging agriculture, food, nutrition, and health
- a track record of high quality research publications as first or senior author and in the management of food science and food systems research activities
- a strong track record of successful research funding applications
- a track record in the development and delivery of food science curricula and teaching, including lectures, tutorials, and laboratory-based practical classes at university level, and excellence in the student experience
- demonstrated understanding and experience of relevant work health and safety issues including laboratory- and field-based work
- experience of successful supervision of Honours and HDR students
- a clear vision of how your planned research would complement and/or enrich the existing strengths and expertise of the School
- previous experience with successful collaborative and interdisciplinary projects
- excellent time management and demonstrated written and oral communication skills
- the ability to work independently as well as being an enthusiastic and successful team member and leader.
The commencement level will be determined based on the candidate's skills, experience, and knowledge.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on +61 2 8627 7137 or by email email@example.com
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 06 November 2022 11:59 PM