Post Doctoral Fellow
2. Job Purpose
- Globally, the demand for sustainable and nutritious marine resources for food and feed applications is increasing. Several biochemical properties of microalgae make them suitable for use in the food and feed industries. Microalgae, for instance, contain polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) and other interesting cellular components such as proteins and pigments. A stable supply of feed resources in sufficient quantities and quality is necessary for aquaculture to grow, particularly the fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) are included in fish oil feed. Despite this, the global supply of fish oil is limited, and emerging markets for high-value omega-3 oils compete for this resource. Therefore, new sustainable sources of EPA and DHA must be developed, and marine microalgae have been identified as a promising alternative. A key aspect of the project will be the isolation of novel salt- and heat-resistant microalgae strain from the terrestrial and aquatic environments of Abu Dhabi with improved growth characteristics. In reactor-based production systems, suitable microalgae will be cultivated with low-quality groundwater, fishponds, or treated sewage effluent. Algae biomass produced will be evaluated for aquafeed suitability. The project team also focuses on developing an industrial supply chain for microalgae products such as feed, e.g., aquaculture, foods, and biochemicals.
- To provide high-quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication, thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Since the Postdoctoral experience is transitional to becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the Postdoctoral tries their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include but are not limited to the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, and the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to organize and teach a class or a course if more inclined towards a teaching career.
3. Key Roles & Responsibilities
The successful applicant is expected to be independent and carry out the research projects independently, resulting in publications with a high impact factor. This position requires a highly motivated individual with experience in algal biotechnology, biochemical engineering, marine microbiology, or related fields and a well-tracked record of publications in peer-reviewed journals. We are looking for an outgoing, flexible, and positive individual interested in translating fundamental research into applications. Additionally, the candidate must meet the following requirements.
- The applicant is expected to supervise graduate students and author publications.
- Applicants must possess substantial experience in scientific data analysis, publication, and reporting.
- The candidate should be a team player with effective collaboration skills and be able to work independently and in a structured manner.
- Disseminate the project results through publication and participation in international conferences.
- The candidate should possess good decision-making skills and the ability to communicate professionally with academic and external partners.
4. Qualifications & Experience
- Ph.D. from a reputable university in Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, or related discipline.
- Experience writing scientific or review papers.
- A willingness to contribute to collaborative and supportive team culture.
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- The proven ability to work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines.
- Ability to train and mentor students and support fellow researchers.
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- A laboratory microalgae cultivation experience is required.
- Microalgae cultivation experience at larger scales (open or closed bioreactor systems) will be considered an advantage.
- It is necessary to have experience with microalgae isolation and identification.
- Experience in the cultivation of microalgae for wastewater bioremediation and biomass production in an optimally integrated manner.
- Experience with biorefineries to enhance and recover PUFAs from microalgal biomass.
- The ability to optimize bioprocesses or production will be considered an advantage.
- Demonstrated independence and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location : KUK – Khalifa University
Job : Post Doctoral Fellow
Schedule : Regular
Shift : Standard
Job Type : Full-time