Senior Research Fellow, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
The National University of Singapore invites applications for the position of Senior Research Fellow in Associate Professor Mahesh Choolani’s established laboratory in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine. The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology is dedicated to providing excellent and affordable care to patients. This mission is driven tirelessly by a staff united by a common identity – to support patient care through best-in-class medical practices informed by insights from cutting-edge clinical and translational research. Further information about the Department, its staff, and its areas of clinical and research expertise may be found at:
Preterm birth, being born before 37 weeks’ gestation, is the leading cause of early childhood death and disability in Singapore today. A/Prof Mahesh’s laboratory is focused on improving outcomes for premature babies and their families. The laboratory is establishing a variety of in-vivo and in-vitro research platforms, with a focus on minimally-invasive fetal diagnostics, personalized therapeutics, and biological processes underpinning adverse fetal outcomes.
Purpose of the post
The research staff will be responsible for and work closely with, A/Prof Mahesh Choolani in executing the laboratory’s research program. The successful candidate will be expected to work collaboratively with, and support the efforts of laboratory members (Scientists, PhD, MSc and Hons students). The principal role will be data analyses, large animal (sheep (primarily) and non-human primate (secondary)) ventilation and surgery, and assistance with establishing an artificial placenta laboratory.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The staff will liaise with the relevant personnel in the laboratory and the Department to assist A/Prof Mahesh in the operation of his laboratory as well as research-related administrative duties.
The staff will be able to:
- Perform aseptic recovery and non-recovery surgery in large animal models such as sheep model of pregnancy and non-human primate (NHP) model of pregnancy;
- Monitoring of pregnancy and fetal well-being of animal models ie. ultrasound scan, CTG, amniocentesis, blood and urine analysis etc
- Execute ventilation and amniocentesis-based studies in the sheep and NHP model of pregnancy;
- Contribute to the day to day running of the laboratory including the analysis of samples, ordering of equipment and consumables, execution of in-vitro and in-vivo experiments; C
- onduct literature searches and analyse data and maintain records of research data generated by the laboratory;
- Supervise the team and design protocols to deliver high-quality clinical research.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise the safety risk of study subjects and DSRB applications
- Prepare oral presentations and research reports
- Establish and develop SOPs and guidelines according to the International standards which are required for all the clinical research
- Utilize patient outcome data to develop processes which ensure continual improvement of hospital services
- Maintain the highest standard of professional conduct and record keeping in accordance with policies and procedures;
- Assist with any other duties of a similar nature that are delegated by the PI.
- Basic degree in medical technology, medical sciences or a related field including medicine;
- completed the postgraduate training with PhD or MD, preferable with clinical exposure and research management.
- Minimum 10 years of work experiences with expertise in leading clinical research program and team management.
- Candidates with surgical experience especially in the field of obstetrics and gynecology would be an added advantage.
- Be able to work independently and in a team, have an investigative nature, attention to detail.
- Have knowledge of computer applications, e.g. MS office, PowerPoint.
- Expertise in data collection and analysis.
Other requirements and skills:
- Ability to work under pressure and work independently
- Excellent administrative skills
Remuneration will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. For additional queries please feel free to contact A/Prof Mahesh directly.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Department : Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 15150