- Based at our Geelong, Waurn Ponds Campus
- Full-time, Fixed term (2 years)
- Level A ($74,024 - $99,512) + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The Research Engineer will contribute to the research objectives, profile and research reputation, of Deakin’s Applied Artificial Intelligence Institute (A²I²). A²I² tackles real-world problems using methods grounded in statistical pattern recognition, modern machine learning, deep learning and reinforcement learning to make discoveries that benefit society and advance industry. Through our research, we aim to advance the frontiers of technology.
The Research Engineer will support a team in the delivery of a research project by helping researchers visualise and understand AI. The position may suit a software engineer with knowledge of machine learning, who is capable of undertaking the software design.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Conducting research implementation under limited supervision either as a member of a team, or independently (where appropriate) to achieve the objectives of the relevant project or research agenda as specified by the Director
- Effectively producing data, maintaining data protocols and entering data into the database; conducting preliminary data cleaning, screening and analysis, providing software design and programming support to research projects
- Engaging collaboratively, where assigned, and collaborating with other researchers to implement and evaluate algorithms
- Developing software system and application prototypes of the proposed solutions including creating interactive user interfaces to help researchers visualise and understand AI, and design of ML experiments and scientific evaluation of results
- Supporting applications for external competitive and other funding, and demonstrating sustained efforts
- Supporting timely delivery of commercialisation and translation outcomes
Selection Criteria for this role:
- A postgraduate qualification in computer science or an equivalent combination of tertiary qualification and industry experience
- Research experience which has resulted in reports, or professional or technical contributions, which give evidence to research ability
- Ability to perform comprehensive literature reviews and provide critical feedback on state-of-the-art solutions
- Good theoretical understanding of core machine learning concepts and techniques
- Demonstrated skills in the coordination of data collection, data entry and analysis
- Extensive programming skills including good knowledge of Python and C++
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team and to meet competing deadlines
- Desirable: 3+ years of programming experience in Python, Java, C/C++ or similar languages
- Desirable: experience on deep learning applications including working knowledge of TensorFlow or PyTorch
- Desirable: demonstrated skills in working with large scale software systems and data
For a copy of the position description, please visit Deakin Careers
Please submit your resume, a short cover letter, and responses to the Selection Criteria for this position by Sunday 23 October 2022.
Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
- Only open to candidates with Permanent Residence visa status or Australian Citizenship
- The successful candidate will be required to maintain a current Working with Children Check
To arrange a confidential discussion regarding this position please contact Sunil Gupta, Associate Professor, via email@example.com
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic, and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.