Lecturer in Russian Politics
King’s Russia Institute (KRI) invites applications for a two-year lectureship position in Russian politics. This is a full-time position with an anticipated start date of January 1, 2023. The area of expertise for this position is open to political economy, political sociology, security studies and foreign policy in Russia and Eurasia. A successful candidate will be someone with a PhD and a growing stream of publications in peer-reviewed journals, on topics that contribute to contemporary academic and policy-debates on regional and Russia-focused issues. This position involves teaching at the graduate and undergraduate levels.
KRI was founded in 2012 and has since become a unique, London-based academic cluster of political, sociological, economic and policy expertise and teaching on Russia and Eurasia. The Institute has a flagship Master’s programme (MSc Russian and Eurasian Politics & Economics), and a PhD programme. You will join a closely-knit community consisting of KRI staff and affiliates, doctoral students, visiting scholars and post-docs. Located in the heart of London, you will be in proximity to the world of politics, culture, business and urban life, all of which gets reflected in KRI’s teaching and learning programme.
You will be responsible to the Director the Institute. More information about the Institute, School of Politics and Economics and Faculty can be found on the King’s website:
King’s Russia Institute: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/kri
School of Politics and Economics: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/schools/politics-economics/index.aspx
Faculty of Social Science and Public Policy: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/index.aspx
This post will be offered on a full-time, fixed term contract for 2 years from January 2023.
- Contribute to the planning, organisation and delivery of teaching activities within King’s Russia Institute in accordance with established departmental practice, and to ongoing curriculum development. At Grade 7, design, develop and deliver a range of programmes of study.
- Contribute fully to developing and enhancing the research profile of the Department, School and College, including (Grade 6) establishing a track record of high quality publication, (Grade 7) having a track record of high quality publication.
- Develop and maintain individual/joint research projects in subject related areas. At Grade 7, contribute to the development of research strategies.
- Supervise and train postgraduate students to ensure their effective development.
- Act as personal tutor to students.
- Participate fully in assessment and examination process as appropriate using a variety of methods and techniques and provide effective, timely and appropriate feedback to students to support their leaning
- Participate in and develop internal and external networks. At Grade 7, lead and develop networks.
- Conduct individual or collaborative research projects. At Grade 7, act as principal investigator and project leader.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties that may be requested by the Head of Department
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. First degree and PhD in a relevant subject (Political Science or Sociology)
2. Academic specialism in political science, political economy, political sociology, foreign and security studies, or any relevant field with a focus on Russia and/or Eurasia (see role profile)
3. Ability to engage in research-led teaching
4. University teaching experience and evidence of excellence
5. Clear potential for excellent academic publications record
6. Good presentational and communicative skills
7. Good organisational and administrative skills
8. Ability to supervise student research at BA, MA and PhD levels
9. Ability to provide support and guidance in the supervision and tutoring of Undergraduate and Postgraduate students
10. Fluency in Russian
11. Excellent academic publications record (Grade 7)
12. Interest in and experience with online, blended and distance learning (Grade 7)
13. Experience of involvement in major research projects and applications for funding (Grade 7)
1. Experience of major research projects
2. Administrative experience