Head of Bioinformatics Core Facility
Central European Institute of Technology of the Masaryk University (CEITEC MU), Brno, Czech Republic
Brno, Czech Republic
CEITEC MU is an independent university institute that was established in 2011 at Masaryk University as part of the scientific centre of excellence CEITEC. This young and dynamic life science research centre is committed to fulfilling its mission of improving quality of life and human health. CEITEC MU values its people and is proud of the state-of-the-art scientific equipment available in its modern core facilities. CEITEC MU significantly drives high quality basic research results in the Czech Republic and competes well also in comparison with international centres. CEITEC MU provides a supportive and stimulating environment, with many opportunities to discuss and develop ideas, as well as a culture of open communication and equal opportunities. The institute is a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research award.
About this position
CEITEC MU employs more than 500 people from over 35 countries working on more than 150 ongoing projects and publishing more than 300 scientific publications per year. Our centre attracts top EU grants and has an annual budget of nearly 32 million euros and investments that exceed 6,6 million euros. Our researchers are pushing the boundaries of current knowledge in the areas of structural biology, molecular medicine, genomics and proteomics of plant systems, and neuroscience.
We are looking for an experienced researcher to join CEITEC as the head of Core Facility Bioinformatics focusing on mainly on analysis of Next Generation Sequencing data and the development of infrastructure (pipelines, web-servers) that facilitate these analyses.
You will become a valued member of our CEITEC scientific community and work as a technology-oriented scientist and team leader alongside 28 other research group leaders and 12 core facility heads.
- be responsible for setting of the portfolio of relevant technological services and adequate resource planning
- recruit, lead, supervise and mentor members of your core facility
- ensure top service and its implementation at the world-class standard and need-to-know resources in biological data management and analysis
- identify and pursue opportunities for further technological innovations
- work in collaboration with scientific partners to develop joint research projects
- interact with the international scientific community via conferences and special events
The tasks are not limited to the above, and a flexible approach and ability to adapt to evolving situations in a dynamic organization is required.
You have (necessary competencies)
- previous experience with next Generation Sequencing data analysis
- the ability to build and develop methodological and technological capacity in the area of the core facility expertise
- demonstrated ability of critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas
- commitment to your own ongoing professional development and ability to supervise early-stage researchers and act as a mentor for others
- demonstrated strong organizational skills and leadership competencies
- a motivated and collaborative mindset
- an established reputation of research excellence in relevant field
You might also have (desirable competencies)
- the ability to recognise the value of your research work in the context of application potential
- the ability to take the lead in executing collaborative research projects in cooperation with colleagues and project partners and with relevant industry partners
- the ability to communicate with the wider scientific community and with the general public about your areas of expertise and its societal value
Why join us?
We are the Czech Republic´s flagship basic research institute in life sciences. We are an international, progressive, and interdisciplinary research institute with access to unique, state-of-the-art equipment. Our modern building is located at the University Campus in Brno-Bohunice. Brno is a lively city surrounded by countryside and is a top destination for many educated expatriates working in the areas of science and technology. Brno is located in the heart of Europe, where Gregor Mendel once laid down the foundation of modern genetics.
We value our employees and support them from their first day at CEITEC. We are an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and offer a highly collaborative, collegial, and family-friendly, international working environment with relocation assistance through our Welcome Office. We offer attractive salary conditions, medical insurance, and other of benefits, such as six weeks of paid vacation, contribution to a pension scheme, flat-rate meal contribution, sports lessons directly at the campus, multisport card, reduced prices for mobile operator tariffs, and special employee bank products.
CEITEC MU is a proud holder of the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research award.
What else you need to know
Interviews: November 2022
Expected Start Date:1/1/2023
Applications including a CV, list of publications, description of skills and experience related to the advertised position, 2-page outlook of future concept of the Core Facility, and contacts for at least two referees should be sent via e-application available above and below this ad.
Contact for informal inquiries about the position and CEITEC MU, or in the case of any difficulties filling out the e-application, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the recruitment process refer to CEITEC Recruitment Policy.
In justified cases, the job announcer can extend, interrupt or cancel the selection procedure.