Research Associate in Therapeutic or Diagnostic Design
A Postdoctoral position is available for 48 months to work in the research group of Professor Martin Ulmschneider.
We are looking for an enthusiastic post-doctoral researcher interested in exploring creative new peptide chemistries to target disease at the cellular membrane. Our research group is focused on designing novel membrane-active peptide nanocarriers for therapeutic and diagnostic applications (e.g. cancer, dementia, bacteria, parasites, etc.). We have several designs at various preclinical stages and are in the process of spinning out a company to translate a promising design for the treatment of triple-negative breast cancer.
This post is aimed at outstanding researchers interested in pursuing new avenues within the broad focus area of the group. There is considerable scope to explore new ideas and avenues (e.g. diagnostics, adjuvant therapies, organoids, nanocarriers, etc.), and we are seeking an enthusiastic researcher keen to develop new and creative designs for clinical or diagnostic translation. Strong wet-bench laboratory skills are essential.
- Expertise in quantitative characterization techniques is required: e.g. circular dichroism spectroscopy, fluorescence spectroscopy, confocal microscopy, and mass spectrometry.
- Knowledge in the preparation of peptides and their molecular functionalization (with drugs, fluorophores, proteins, etc.) using different chemistries (thiols, amines, diazonium, hydroxylation, click chemistry, etc.).
- Expertise in manufacture of nanocarriers and their application is desirable.
- Expertise in the design, manufacture, and chemical functionalisation of microfluidic devices for cell-based applications are desirable, but not essential.
- Skills in programming with data acquisition codes such as Labview, Python, Excel, or Matlab are desirable.
- Good writing, communication, and management skills are important.
The post holder will be located in Britannia House, the main Chemistry building near the Guy’s Campus
This post will be offered on a fixed-term contract for 4 years
This is a full-time post