Research Instrumentation Specialist 1 in Core Technology Platforms Marine Sciences Fieldwork
The Core Technology Platforms (CTP) at New York University Abu Dhabi are multidisciplinary, centrally organized research facilities comprised of 12 core laboratories. We provide access to hundreds of research equipment, user training, and research support to NYU Abu Dhabi's academic community and collaborators. For more information, please refer to the CTP website.
The CTP seeks to appoint a Research Instrumentation Specialist - Marine Fieldwork for a Fixed Term of three years, renewable.
The successful candidate will be a member of NYU Abu Dhabi Core Technology Platforms (CTP) Operations reporting to the Executive Director of the CTP department.
The successful candidate will work with researchers and faculty members on an as-needed basis and assist them in running experiments using the relevant ‘Core Technology Platform’ (CTP) equipment.
The main duties will include:
- Operation of the research vessel: launching and landing the boat on slips, navigating the boat to research sites using GPS, safely deploying and collecting research divers on-site, and cleaning and maintaining the boat and its engines (except for major engine services).
- Management of the NYUAD research vessels: keeping up-to-date logs of operational hours using the CTP booking software, maintenance must be tracked and a maintenance schedule planned and adhered to, and annual CNIA inspections and license renewals must be completed on time to minimize the interruption to research.
- Function as Diving Safety Officer for research diving at NYUAD: make sure that all research diving is done in a safe manner while meeting the NYUAD approved Dive Safety Manual, ensuring all divers submit project plans, dive plans, and their dive logs after research diving activities have been completed, the Dive Safety Manual must be reviewed annually to determine if any changes are required in collaboration with the Dive Safety Board, diving Statistics (logs) must also be submitted to AAUS at the beginning of each academic year for the previous year.
- Provide logistical and field support to researchers regarding diving and other marine research where possible.
- Provide annual training sessions for First Aid, Emergency Oxygen, and in-water rescue techniques.
- Preparation, maintenance, and cleaning of SCUBA gear. This includes keeping maintenance records and ensuring all equipment used is in safe operational condition.
- Filling of SCUBA tanks using the NYUAD breathing air compressor and associated fill station. This includes the timely changing of filters, air safety quality checks, and maintenance.
The candidate must be willing to be trained on additional equipment as required and operate them and travel locally and internationally if needed.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensing, or Training
- BSc in Science, Marine, Environmental or equivalent
- Three years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination, which must include extensive experience with powerboat operation and SCUBA diving.
- Must have power-boat operator certification (e.g. RYA Level 2)
- Must have Instructor-level certification in SCUBA diving from an internationally recognized organization, familiar with all aspects of safety during diving and onboard boats.
- Experience in teaching Emergency First Response and Emergency Oxygen provider courses.
Preferred Education, Certifications, Licensing, or Training
- Training in breathing air compressor operation and maintenance
- Training as SCUBA Technician
- AAUS scientific diver certification desired
- Familiar with UAE waters especially around Abu Dhabi.
- Valid UAE driver’s license.
Required Work and Related Experience
- Experience managing maintenance schedules for scuba equipment and boats
- Experience with dive logging software
- Experience as a powerboat operator involving scuba divers
- Experience in leading instruction of divers for certification
Preferred Work and Related Experience
- Experienced in field-based marine research
- Experience in Closed Circuit Rebreathers desired
- Technical Dive Qualifications and experience desired
- Experience operating and maintaining breathing air compressors
- Experience blending nitrox using partial pressure blending
The terms of employment are very competitive and include housing and educational subsidies for children. Applications will be accepted immediately, and candidates will be considered until the position is filled. To be considered, all applicants must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, transcript of degree, research statement and at least two letters of recommendation, all in PDF format. If you have any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.
EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Employer
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion.