Faculty Positions in Pure Maths
School: School of Mathematics and Physics
Department: Department of Pure Mathematics
Position: Faculty [Open Rank]
Location: Suzhou, China
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT DEPARTMENT OF PURE MATHETICS
The Department of Pure Mathematics invites applications for new academic staff at the rank of Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Senior Associate Professor/Professor. Our international department has staff actively engaged in research in algebra, number theory, discrete mathematics, dynamical systems, geometry and topology. We seek individuals with a PhD in Mathematics who will make a strong contribution to the research output of the department.
Successful candidates will show commitment to a high standard of teaching at all levels. The department is involved in the delivery of three four-year undergraduate programmes within the School of Mathematics and Physics as well as the provision of service teaching in mathematics across the university. At the postgraduate level, we offer a PhD programme in Mathematical Sciences.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Conduct high-quality research, leading to publications in respected international mathematics journals.
- Actively pursue external research funding.
- Supervise PhD students and undergraduate student projects.
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate students in English.
- Contribute to the efficient functioning of the department and school.
- Typical workload balance of research:teaching:service is 40:40:20.
We are seeking future colleagues who are passionate about mathematics and have an active attitude towards research, are able to collaborate effectively with others and to conduct their academic duties in English.
Successful applicants for the position of Assistant Professor or above must possess:
- A PhD in Mathematics.
- 2 years of full-time postdoctoral experience with demonstrable teaching experience.
- International experience in higher education.
- Fluency in English.
Successful applicants for the positions of Associate Professor/Senior Associate Professor/Professor should also possess a commensurate record of academic achievements and research recognition.
- Experience in conducting research supported by national-level research funds.
- Experience in academic programme design and development.
- Experience in supervision of student projects.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
For questions or inquiries about the position, please contact the Head of Department of Pure Mathematics, Dr. Simon Lloyd at Simon.Lloyd@xjtlu.edu.cn
For general enquiries, please email HR at Mengdie.Sun@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.