Postdoctoral Fellow in Functional Genomics Group
Department: Michal Šmída Research Group – Central European Institute of Technology
Deadline: 31 Oct 2022
Start date: December2022/January 2023/negotiable
Job type: full-time
Job field: Science and research
Central European Institute of Technology of Masaryk University (CEITEC MU)
Brno, Czech Republic | www.ceitec.eu
We are the Czech Republic’s flagship basic research institute based at Masaryk University. Our modern in-house core facilities, which provide open access to the latest technologies and expertise, currently support more than 500 researchers from over 35 countries, who are together pushing the boundaries of knowledge in the areas of structural biology, molecular medicine, genomics and proteomics of plant systems, and neuroscience.
Our postdoctoral programme will enable you to participate in one of many exciting scientific projects addressing current global issues related to health and the quality of human life. You will have the opportunity to discuss and develop ideas and train your ability to reason in a scientific manner, formulate hypotheses independently, to innovate, and to perform independent research. It is an excellent opportunity to fully develop the skills acquired throughout your PhD studies. You will have access to a professional administration supporting you with grant preparation and administration, with technology transfer, science communication and with other areas of modern research management. You will have the chance to participate in a wide range of scientific and career development events and become a valued member of our vibrant multinational scientific community.
About this position
A post-doctoral position is open in the lab of Dr. Michal Šmída (https://www.ceitec.eu/ceitec-mu/michal-smida-research-group/rg214) to participate in research focused on the identification of novel targets for therapy of leukemias, particularly acute myeloid leukemia (AML) and chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). The research group is investigating molecular mechanisms essential for malignant cells and/or responsible for developing resistance to current targeted therapies. More importantly, we explore how to exploit the resistance mechanisms for novel personalized therapy. We are seeking a talented person with expertise in cell biology, molecular biology and biochemistry to perform various large-scale drug screens and genome-wide CRISPR/Cas9 cellular screens with following in-depth validation of the screening hits and detailed elucidation of molecular mechanisms. The aim of the project will be to propose novel molecular targets to break the therapy resistance and thereby enhance the success rate of the therapy in CLL or AML patients. The project will include translational research using immortalized cell lines, mouse models and primary patient material. State-of-the-art technologies such as genome-wide CRISPR/Cas9 screening, next-generation sequencing or single-cell sequencing are available in the laboratory and/or local core facilities, and are accessible on a regular basis.
We are seeking a creative, independent and driven individual with documented research experience related to this position. Candidates with strong research experience in cancer biology and personalized medicine are encouraged to apply.
You have (necessary competencies)
- A PhD degree or equivalent in molecular biology, biochemistry or similar field received within the last 8 years (maternity/parental leave is excluded from this period)
- Good knowledge of a broad portfolio of cell biology and molecular biology techniques
- Work experience with mammalian cell culture, preferably also with lentiviral cell transduction. Practical experience with CRISPR/Cas9 technology is of advantage.
- Knowledge of cancer biology (both theoretical and practical) and its experimental techniques
- Research experience from abroad (short stays are acceptable)
- Independence, enthusiasm, persistence, and attention to detail
- Good publishing record –at least two scientific publications in impacted peer-reviewed journals within the last three years. The applicant must be the principal author of at least one publication demonstrating creativity and scientific quality.
- Good English language – spoken and written
Desirable but not required:
- A motivated person with a collaborative mindset
- Willingness to engage in the life of academic community
Why join us?
We value our employees, and we support them from their very first day at CEITEC. We are an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and offer a highly collaborative, collegial and family-friendly, international working environment with relocation assistance through our Welcome Office. The selected candidate will become a valued member of the CEITEC scientific community with access to in-house core facilities and professional administrative support. Have a look at what your potential peers say about working at CEITEC MU.
Brno is a lively city surrounded by beautiful countryside. It is a top destination for many educated expatriates working in the areas of science and technology. Brno is located in the heart of Europe and offers a great standard of living.
We are offering:
- Exciting research project in a young international research team
- Free access to CEITEC MU core facilities with state-of-the-art equipment and experienced personnel
- An attractive salary condition
- Medical insurance
- 6 weeks of paid holiday
- Contribution to a pension scheme
- Flat-rate meal contributions
- A multisport card and sports lessons directly at the campus
- Reduced prices for mobile operator tariffs
- Special employee bank products
CEITEC MU is a proud holder of the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award.
What else you need to know
Application deadline: 31st October, 2022
Interviews: middle November, 2022
Expected start date: December 2022 / January 2023 (can be negotiated)
Hours: full-time (40 working hours/week)
Duration: fixed term (4 years)
Eligibility criteria: only external candidates will be considered
Applications including a CV, list of publications, a brief motivation letter, a scanned copy of the PhD diploma or an official letter certifying submission of doctoral thesis defense and the planned defense date, and contacts for at least two references should be sent via e-application below.
In the case of any difficulties filling out the e-application, please contact email@example.com
If you do not receive an invitation for a job interview within 4 weeks after submitting your CV, we have given priority to other candidates in the first round of the selection process.
For more information about the recruitment process, refer to CEITEC MU Recruitment Policy.
For more information about our career system, refer to CEITEC MU Career System.
In justified cases, the job announcer can extend, interrupt or cancel the selection procedure.