Senior Lecturer / Lecturer (College of Business and Economics: School of Tourism and Hospitality)
Industry: Education & Training
Job category: Education and Training
Campus: Auckland Park Bunting Road Campus
Remuneration: Market Related
EE position: Open to all
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision of “Positioning UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.
The Council of the University of Johannesburg has declared the University as a mandatory vaccination site as per the applicable policy ((https://www.uj.ac.za/covid-19/). All applications and offers of employment is dependent upon compliance with the said policy.
The School of Tourism and Hospitality at the University of Johannesburg offers a broad range of undergraduate diplomas and degrees, postgraduate and continuous education programmes designed to equip graduates with relevant skills and competencies that can be applied across length and breadth of the tourism and hospitality value chain. Our graduates are revered both locally and internationally for their dynamic attributes. As Africa’s number one ranked School of Tourism and Hospitality, also ranked 9th globally, we are committed to charting new career pathways for the innovators, disruptors business leaders and critical thinkers of tomorrow in the exciting field of tourism and hospitality.
We are particularly interested in candidates with a broad experience base in the discipline of Food and Beverage, Culinary skills and restaurant management. Successful candidates should hold a Masters or Doctoral degree and have experience in the Tourism and Hospitality sector. They will be expected to contribute to an interdisciplinary research environment in order to develop new research focus areas. Candidates should have a strong interest in teaching and in performing high quality research, influencing both practitioners and academics. Candidates should be able to teach at both undergraduate and post graduate levels. In addition the candidate should be able to supervise Honours, Masters and PhD students. We pride ourselves on scholarly profile and we therefore expect all our academics to actively engage in research and publish in high-impact quality journals.
Upon joining the School of Tourism & Hospitality, you will:
- Be situated at the STH Admin Building, Bunting Road Campus, Aucklandpark, but not excluded from teaching on other campuses
- Teach according to your allocated modules and supervise postgraduate students
- Conduct and publish your own research within departmental research interests; and
- Fulfil leadership and administrative roles in the Department when required.
The incumbent will be expected to:
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate modules
- Supervise postgraduate students, including honours, master’s and doctorates
- Conduct and publish your own research within a research focus area of your professional interest
- Fulfil leadership roles in the department
- Make a meaningful difference through community engagement
- Forge and maintain external professional networks
To qualify, you need have
- A Masters or Doctoral degree in Tourism and Hospitality Management or relevant field
- Experience in teaching/training in a variety of Hospitality programmes at a reputable higher education institution, locally or internationally
- Evidence of publications in high quality peer-reviewed research journals in the discipline
- Well-developed quantitative and/or qualitative methodology skills
- Supervised research projects of post-graduate students successfully
- An excellent ability to speak and write in English
- Good leadership and team-oriented skills
- Sound problem-solving and decision-making skills
Competencies and Behavioural Attributes:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good time management skills.
- Good planning and organising skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good listening skills.
- Good conflict management skills.
- Self-driven and a lifelong learner.
- Teaching experience, preferably at a Higher Education Institution
- A track record of post-graduate research supervision and publication in the relevant field
- Proven record of engagement with the scholarship of teaching, e.g. teaching evaluation or relevant portfolio
- Innovative teaching techniques incorporating technology
- NRF Rating would be an added advantage.
- Ability to develop new undergraduate and postgraduate modules
- Ability to teach online
- Able to teach large groups
Enquiries regarding job content: Ms. Nanikie Mhlongo-Zungu on (011) 559-1048
Enquiries regarding remuneration and benefits: Antoinette Kanfer on (011) 559-2548 (HCM Business Partner)
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to email@example.com
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.