Assistant/Associate Professor (Cross-Appointment), Clinical Pharmacy and Practice
Vacancy for the Position of Assistant/Associate Professor (Cross-Appointment) at Qatar University College of Pharmacy - Clinical Pharmacy and Practice
Qatar University (QU), located in Doha, is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility in Qatar.
The College of Pharmacy at QU is the first and only pharmacy degree program in the State of Qatar. The College offers 5-year BSc (Pharmacy), 1-year post-Baccalaureate Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD), 2-year MSc (Pharm), and a PhD degree. Our BSc and PharmD degree programs are the first international programs to be accredited by the Canadian Council for Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs (CCAPP) and partners with local and international education and healthcare institutions to support its academic and research mandates. As a leading College, the first of its kind in this country and a pillar of the QU Health Cluster, we undergo constant changes as we strive to achieve excellence while meeting our primary mandate, to provide our graduates with the knowledge and skills necessary to become competent pharmacists, to meet the healthcare needs of the society. The vision of the College is “to be the leading pharmacy college in the Middle East region”.
The College is seeking for Qatari and non-Qatari applicants of high academic and professional standing with impeccable character to be employed to translate into reality the vision and mission of QU and the QU College of Pharmacy.
Applications are hereby invited to fill full-time faculty positions at the rank of Assistant/Associate Professor (cross-appointment) in the Department of Clinical Pharmacy & Practice, beginning January 2023.
Cross-appointment refers to a faculty position in which the primary appointment (including academic duties, salary, and benefits) of the recruited faculty member is charged to Qatar University (the unit of primary appointment), but the cross-appointee is affiliated to another unit (usually Hamad Medical Corporation, Qatar) in which they have a sustained professional practice interest. Typically, the formalization of the cross-appointment will happen after the faculty member has joined Qatar University, in which they will serve as Clinical Pharmacy Specialist.
Qualifications and General Requirements
Minimum requirements for the position(s) include the following:
- Candidate seeking appointment as an Assistant Professor (cross-appointment) must have a first professional degree in pharmacy and licensed to practice.
- The candidate seeking appointment as an Assistant Professor (cross-appointment) must possess a terminal/doctorate degree in clinical pharmacy and/or pharmacy practice (e.g. PhD in the clinical pharmacy field and/or PharmD degree with accredited residency/fellowship) from a reputable university, with appropriate teaching and research experience, and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- candidate with a minimum of 5 years of teaching and clinical practice experiences with documented accomplishments in teaching, research, service, and clinical practice is preferred.
- candidate with a PhD degree should have evidence of additional credentials (e.g. board certification, residency etc) and/or active involvement in clinical practice and teaching in relevant clinical area/specialty.
- candidate with a PhD degree who fulfils the above requirements and have a PharmD degree will have an advantage.
- candidate with a PharmD degree (post-baccalaureate or entry-level) should have obtained: a post-PharmD accredited residency and/or fellowship training qualifications from a recognized institution as well as at least 2 years of active clinical practice and teaching experiences in a relevant clinical specialty post-residency OR a minimum of 5 years clinical practice and teaching experiences in a relevant clinical specialty..
- candidate with a PharmD degree who fulfills the above requirements and has additional postgraduate degrees (e.g. PhD and/or MSc) is preferred and will have an advantage.
- candidate who fulfills the above criteria and currently holds the position of an Assistant Professor or equivalent in a recognized academic institution will be preferred.
- The candidate must have a strong research and scholarship record commensurate with the rank sought as evidenced by publications (minimum 5 relevant publications) in reputable peer-reviewed international journals.
- Candidate seeking appointment as an Associate Professor (cross-appointment) must possess a terminal/doctorate degree in clinical pharmacy and/or pharmacy practice (i.e. PhD in clinical pharmacy field and/or PharmD degree) from a reputable/accredited university, with an appropriate teaching and research experience, and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- in general, candidate must have satisfied the general requirements for an Assistant Professor position (outlined above).
- candidate must have previously served as an Assistant Professor or equivalent in a recognized academic institution.
- candidate who fulfills the above criteria and currently holds the rank of an Associate Professor or equivalent in a recognized academic institution will be preferred.
- The candidate must have a strong research and scholarship record commensurate with the rank sought as evidenced by several publications (minimum 15 relevant publications) in reputable peer-reviewed international journals and grantsmanship (obtaining research grants).
- Candidate with evidence of academic leadership in the form of successfully supervised postgraduate dissertations/theses, preceptorship of students during experiential training, and some administrative experience will have an advantage.
Summary of Job Description
- This is a full-time professorial position in the Clinical Pharmacy and Practice Department. The recruited applicant will be responsible for teaching, scholarly activity, research, academic service, and community service.
- The successful candidate will teach and coordinate courses in clinical pharmacy and practice at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- The successful candidate will establish an active independent research program that incorporates undergraduate and graduate research.
- In addition, the candidate will engage in interdisciplinary collaboration with other colleges under the QU Health Cluster (including the Colleges of Medicine, Dental Medicine, and Health Sciences) in both teaching and research.
- A research portfolio that complements the existing research strengths established by the QU Health Cluster according to the Qatar 2030 Vision is an added advantage.
- She/he is also likely to be cross-appointed with one of the approved healthcare delivery institutions in Qatar.
- If cross-appointed to healthcare institutions in Qatar, the candidate will establish a collaborative practice with practitioners and engage in experiential training of BSc and/or PharmD students.
- If the candidate satisfies the criteria for cross-appointment to a health care delivery organization within Qatar, a professional service to a partnering organization is also expected. Qatar University will be the primary employer and this position is subject to academic promotion in accordance with university policy.
- Please note that this is an abbreviated job description, and a more detailed job description will be provided in the job offer of successful applicants.
Application Closing Date
Applications will be received and reviewed until the position is filled.
Position Start Date
The preferred start date is of the position is 22 January 2023.
Method of Application
Applicants should apply for the advertised position online via Qatar University Jobs website: https://careers.qu.edu.qa
For consideration, a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, a record of teaching excellence (or teaching philosophy), a brief (1-2 pages) clinical practice plan (if applicable), a brief (1-2 pages) research plan, 2 – 3 papers that best exemplify research interests, and 3 letters of reference should be submitted to the iRecruitment system.
The salaries and other conditions of service at QU are highly competitive at international standards. The employment package is commensurate with experience and rank and highly competitive.
It includes a 12-month tax-free salary, housing, private health insurance, relocation expenses, financial support for children education (school expenses), and flight tickets as per the current QU Human Resource policies. For more information please visit the Qatar University HR website at http://www.qu.edu.qa/offices/hr.
QU is committed to employment equity and values diversity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.