Researcher for Department of Experimental Biology
Bursar of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position
Researcher of the bacterial collection of the CCM
Workplace: Department of Experimental Biology, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: position with 3year contract (with possible extension), non-academic
Working Hours: 1,0 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: negotiable
Number of Open Positions: 1
Application Deadline: 30. 09. 2022
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is modern, dynamic and the most attractive university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 6000 staff and 30 000 students, a wide range of research areas and a strong international position. We are the largest academic employer in the South Moravian Region.
Faculty of Science MU, a holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
The Department of Experimental Biology (DEB) at the Faculty of Science MU consists of laboratories and teams that provide teaching and scientific training for students of experimentally oriented biological disciplines. The Czech Collection of Microorganisms (CCM), which is one of the divisions of DEB, is a specialised research and service facility that maintains and provides cultures of microorganisms for the needs of basic and applied research, industry, routine laboratories, biotechnology and education.
- Research worker at bacteriology division in Czech Collection of Microorganisms (curator) responsible for cryo-maintenance of bacterial cultures (freeze-drying, deep freezer, liquid nitrogen) and supply of cultures to customers; modification of cryoprotective procedures
- Application of database system MINE for collection cultures, re-identification of culture strains, and evaluation of taxonomic changes in bacteriology
- Inclusion in current research projects
- Characterisation of bacterial strains by analysis of fatty acids with Sherlock system and publication of obtained results
- Study of intraspecies variability of bacterial cultures by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis method and publication of results
- Supervision of bachelor and diploma thesis
- Work in the risk of professional infection
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must have:
- University education in microbiology or molecular biology, Ph.D. degree
- Professional experience in bacteriology min. 5 years
- Very good level of oral and written English
- Good communication skills – communication with customers and deponents of bacterial cultures
- Publication activity, preparation of grant projects
- Independence, reliability and prerequisites for team work
- Continuous education in expert knowledge
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to prof. RNDr. Ivo Sedláček, CSc.; email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stable position in a well-established laboratory
- Involvement in research projects
- An interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area
- Flexible working hours
- Employee benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, a financial meal allowance, lunches in canteens of MU, Multisport card, vaccinations free of charge, discounted language courses, university cinema discount, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare group-Campus
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- International Staff Office provides support with your relocation to Brno
The application shall be submitted online by 30. 09. 2022 via an e-application, please find the reference to the e-application in the beginning and end of the advertisement.
The candidate shall provide following:
- Letter of motivation describing candidate's research interest and experience
- Summary of research outputs and publications
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!