Dean of Engineering
Work type: Full-time
Department: Faculty of Engineering (14000)
Categories: Professoriate Staff, Professional & Management
The University of Hong Kong invites applications and nominations for appointment as Dean of the Faculty of Engineering.
The University of Hong Kong
Ranked #1 as the most international university in the world by Times Higher Education 2022, and 21st among the world’s top universities by QS World University Rankings 2023, The University of Hong Kong is a prominent university in Asia with 31,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students and more than 8,000 academic, academic-related and administrative staff.
The University, which is celebrating its 111th anniversary, strives at the forefront of developing Hong Kong into an international Innovation and Technology Center, sharing the same commitment of the HKSAR Government. Its ambitious infrastructure projects include the Tech Landmark project (to be completed in 2024), which will host 12 institutes focused on strategic interdisciplinary research including materials, energy and environment, green buildings and smart cities, data mining and AI, biotech and biomedicine, geriatric science and gerontechnology, quantum technologies, global poverty mitigation, and more; the HKU-Shenzhen Campus; and other facilities required for recruiting and nurturing talents.
The University is continuously committed to investing in Innovations and Technologies by attracting international talents, supporting cutting-edge research, and encouraging technologies start-ups and spinoffs. To solidify its position as a global hub of innovative research and further enhance its impact around the world, the University actively promotes international networks and operates a wide range of international programmes including prestigious visiting professorships, joint doctorate programmes and collaborative research projects through various funding mechanisms. More information about the University of Hong Kong can be found at https://www.hku.hk.
The Faculty of Engineering
As one of the University’s largest and founding faculties, the Faculty of Engineering is committed to creating new generations of engineering leaders. It provides a well-rounded curriculum and high-quality engineering education in the global knowledge-based economy, and covers a wide range of fundamental and applied engineering disciplines. In 2020/21, the Faculty has over 1,800 new student intakes (15% of University total), including over 600 in undergraduate and over 1,200 (24% of University total) in taught postgraduate and research postgraduate programmes. Moving forward, the Faculty is also targeting an expansion in the enrolment of professional master’s programmes by 50%.
The Faculty recognizes its core attributes in research and pooling talents. Concerted efforts have been made to advance research and spearhead innovation across disciplines, which include strengthening international exposure, pursuing international scholarly recognition, fostering a more open and supportive research culture, increasing engagement of international collaborations and multi-disciplinary research, as well as recruiting and retaining high-caliber staff. Currently, the Faculty has five well-established academic departments in the fields of Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering and Mechanical Engineering with over 150 academic and teaching staff. Cross-disciplinary research is highly encouraged and a number of cross-department institutes have been established to address outstanding challenges. To cater for these strategic development and expansion efforts in the research areas of Climate Change, Infrastructure and Carbon Neutrality, FinTech, Security and Privacy, Future Microelectronics and Materials, as well as expansion of Biomedical Engineering, the Faculty has embarked on a major, international recruitment effort for top engineering/applied science talent and aims to increase its teaching staff size by over 30% by Year 2026, enabled by the rapid development and expansion of engineering research space/facilities.
More information about the Faculty of Engineering can be found at https://engg.hku.hk.
The Dean’s role
- The Dean will provide strong academic and strategic leadership to the Faculty, with a clear vision for the future growth of the Faculty of Engineering
- He/She will provide a supportive research environment, commit to excellence in education, foster a collegial culture in the Faculty, and have a vision for developing and implementing new strategies for the Faculty, in alignment with the overall vision and strategic plan of the University
- He/She will be responsible for building a close and extensive network with the community and furthering the mission of the Faculty and the University
- The Dean will report to the Senior Management Team via the Provost, and will have full budgetary and fund-raising responsibility
Qualifications and Qualities
- A world-class scholar with outstanding record of scholarly achievement, teaching excellence and international reputation
- Proven senior administrative experience and/or leadership accomplishments in a premier university, with effectiveness in managing and optimizing resources, building and retaining teams, and the ability to inspire and lead a Faculty with diverse interests
- Global outlook combined with a commitment to excellence in Engineering education and curriculum development
- Commitment to high-impact research for the University and Hong Kong as a whole, as well as a vision for promoting technology development in Hong Kong
- Outstanding leadership, interpersonal, communication skills, and stakeholder engagement abilities
- Proven records in fostering interdisciplinary research, fundraising, knowledge transfer, and partnership development
- Track record in promoting innovations, technologies, and entrepreneurships
Nominations, Expressions of Interest and Applications
Nominations, expressions of interest and applications should be directed to Heidrick and Struggles via email firstname.lastname@example.org in confidence, preferably on or before January 31, 2023. Review of nominations and applications will start in September 2022 and continue until the post is filled. The University is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to equality, ethics, inclusivity, diversity and transparency.