Operations Officer - Education
The post holder is a member of the School’s professional services team, providing advice and support for the Education function in the School and working closely with others in the team to ensure consistent practice is applied across the School’s Education support service.
The post holder will support to our PGR cohorts working closely with the School PGR Lead, PGR Coordinator, Academic leads of the CDT’s in Surgical & Interventional Engineering and Digital Twins to ensure research support for the School:
• is aligned the wider Faculty and university education support functions
• is professional, well-executed and timely
• is compliant with university policies and
• adopts best practice.
The post holder will support the PGT module leads and lecturers with King's Virtual Learning Environment, organisation of assessments and accreditations.
The post holder will also work with the Faculty and School marketing and communication colleagues to ensure that education opportunities are promoted effectively and accurately via the prospectus, website, promotional material and social media.
This post will be offered on a fixed term contract for 2 years
This is a full-time post, this is a hybrid role with at least 3 days on campus.
• To support PGR students and supervisors during student recruitment, induction, progression and assessment, liaising with the Centre for Doctoral Studies, Registry, Admissions and Education Support Services
• To promote student welfare and a positive student experience and support innovations to improve the student experience across the School and Faculty
• Keep accurate local records of all PGR students
• Keep accurate records of all Thesis Progression Committee allocations (supervisors, TPC Chairs, independent experts) to ensure fair allocation of TPC Chairing duties in the School.
• To service the School education related committee’s including organisation of the meetings, inviting attendees, drafting agendas and taking minutes. To support School PGR and DTP/CDT meetings as required.
• To participate in cross-School/ Faculty/ university projects and initiatives.
• Supporting module leads and lecturers with King's Virtual Learning Environment
• Supporting with organisation of assessments
• Timetabling - liaising with the modules leads and the college/faculty admin teams in organising an efficient teaching timetable
• Projects - helping collect UG and PG projects from the supervisors and collate the into the respective booklets for the students
• Accreditation - liaising with the UG/PG course directors and module leads in collecting the requires supporting documentation
• Process applications for visiting research students and provide advice about the application process and registration.
• Engage with initiatives that support and enhance student welfare
• Support day-to-day financial matters, such as processing purchase orders, expenses, invoices and approving student expenditure
• Undertake any other reasonable duties and projects as requested by the post holder’s line manager/s. These will include School-specific duties, for example supporting specialist Centres, liaising with external bodies etc to underpin the School’s core activity.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Educated to degree level or relevant experience
2. Detailed understanding of education provision in Higher Education institutions, the regulatory context and best practice
3. Highly numerate with proven financial management and analytical skills to underpin strategic financial strategic decisions and procedure
4. Excellent communication, negotiation and influencing skills at all levels
5. Experience of building an effective network across a complex organisation and with external stakeholders
6. Experience of using complex databases and management information systems
7. Ability to work under pressure in a busy environment
8. A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion, actively addressing areas of potential bias
9. Solutions and quality focused
10. Commitment to good practice and following process/procedure
11. Committee servicing
12. Experience of financial planning and implementation, including preparing budget, financial profiling, preparing business cases and plans, and monitoring key performance indicators, budgets and risks
13. Proven Professional Services skills gained within the Higher Education sector and a detailed knowledge the regulatory, policy and procedural context along with the challenges and opportunities faced by the sector