Faculty Positions in Applied Mathematics
School: School of Mathematics and Physics
Department: Department of Applied Mathematics
Position: Faculty [Open Rank]
Location: Suzhou, China
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT DEPARTMENT OF APPLIED MATHETICS
The Department of Applied Mathematics invites applications for positions at any level. Our international department has academic staff actively engaged in research in the analysis of differential equations, numerical analysis, optimisation, operational research as well as their applications. We seek individuals with a PhD in mathematics who will make a strong contribution to the research output of the department.
Successful candidates will show commitment to a high standard of teaching at all levels. The department is involved in the delivery of three four-year undergraduate mathematics programmes as well as the provision of service teaching for other programmes within the university. At the postgraduate level, we offer a PhD programme in Mathematical Sciences.
- Conduct high-quality research, leading to publications in top journals.
- Actively attract external research funding.
- Supervise PhD students and undergraduate student projects.
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate students in English.
- Contribute to the functioning of the department and school.
- Typical workload balance research:teaching:service is 40:40:20
We are looking for future colleagues able to collaborate with others, with an active attitude for research, passionate about mathematics and able to conduct their academic duties in English.
- A PhD in Mathematics or Applied Mathematics.
- Two years of full time postdoctoral experience with demonstrable teaching experience.
- International experience in higher education.
- Fluency in English.
In addition, for senior positions,
- A minimum of eight years of full time academic experience and excellence in academic achievements.
- Broad international experience in higher education.
- Demonstrable experience in curriculum development.
- Extensive experience in student supervision.
- Experience in conducting research supported by national level research funds.
- Experience in academic programme design and development.
In addition, for senior positions,
- Experience in conducting research supported by international level research funds.
- Experience in supervision of PhD students.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
For questions or inquiries about the position, please contact Head of Department of Applied Mathematics, Dr. Alejandro Vidal-Lopez at Alejandro.Vidal@xjtlu.edu.cn
For general enquiries, please email HR at Mengdie.Sun@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.