Research Fellow, Plant Nanotechnology
Postdoctoral positions (research fellows) are available immediately in the Lew Lab led by Assistant Professor Tedrick Thomas Salim LEW at the Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering at the National University of Singapore (NUS). The National University of Singapore is consistently ranked as the top university in Asia and among the highest ranked institutions globally.
Research in the Lew Lab focuses on engineering innovative nanoparticle-based technologies to efficiently deliver proteins and biomolecules for plant engineering, and to monitor plant signalling pathways non-destructively (Lew et al, Nat Plants 2020; Kwak & Lew et al, Nat Nanotech 2019). Trainees will be exposed to a rich and exciting training environment at the emerging field of plant nanotechnology.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop nanoparticle formulations and characterize their performance in vitro and in plants
- Perform regular plant imaging experiments using fluorescence or confocal microscopy
- Quantify sensor response or delivery efficiency using image analysis methods.
- Grow and maintain plants for experiments
- Work collaboratively and train junior lab members
Applicants must have:
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Plant Biology or related fields.
- Published at least 1-2 publications as a first author in top international peer-reviewed journals
- Experience in nanomaterial or biomaterial synthesis for sensing or biomolecule delivery (e.g. gene or protein delivery)
- Experience in bioimaging, such as confocal and fluorescence microscopy
- Experience in working with Arabidopsis or other plant species (desirable)
- Experience in polymer chemistry, organic chemistry, molecular biology, bacteria culture, or biological assays (desirable)
- Strong communication and analytical skills
The position is available immediately, and the candidate will be offered a 1-year contract with possible extension depending on research performance.
Competitive salary will be offered to candidates who fulfil the requirements for the position. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted via email.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: College of Design and Engineering
Department: Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 17179