Research Assistant / Associate, Analytical Chemistry
3 days left
- Full Time
The radiochemistry group at SNRSI is seeking a researcher for an integral role in the quantitative determination of radio-contaminants (e.g., 238U, 235U, 232Th, 137Cs, 90Sr). The nature of the work requires the utmost best in lab practices, exquisitely clean and creative sample preparation, and expertise in optimizing instrument detection. The incumbent will use both radiometric and analytical techniques for the measurements, such as alpha spectrometry, gamma spectroscopy, liquid scintillation counting, and mass spectrometry. Wet chemistry techniques such as chemical separation, complex sample digestion using wet and dry ash methods, electrochemistry, etc. will be used to prepare samples in order to meet the desired detection limits and mode of measurement. The incumbent will also be required to document and organize analytical data, write reports, and contribute to manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed journals.
- Graduating candidates are welcome to apply
- A good B.Sc and/or M.Sc degree in (analytical) chemistry, geochemistry or related disciplines.
- Data analysis and report writing skills utilizing the Microsoft Office suite of programs is necessary, as well as the ability to learn instrumental platform software.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate effectively on diverse teams is required
- The candidate should be creative, capable of productive research, and can work independently and as part of a diverse team
- The candidate should be resourceful and collaborative in order to help address complex analytical challenges
- Experience in operating an ICP-MS and or other analytical instruments (LCMS, GCMS, IC etc) with knowledge in method development and troubleshooting is preferable
- Experience in wet chemistry -preparing a variety of samples (example: food, soil, concrete) in labs is highly desirable
- Experience with maintaining and troubleshooting routine and minor instrumental issues is preferred but not necessary
- Familiarity with error propagation and uncertainties is highly desirable
Interested applicants should send in your CV and cover letter. Please prepare to obtain 3 letters of reference.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.