Postdoctoral Research Associate in Galactic Archaeology (Women Only)
- Full time 3 years fixed term employment, located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Physics
- Opportunity to contribute to laboratory research focused on Galactic Seismology
- Base Salary Level A $97,043 p.a. - $107,516 p.a. + 17% superannuation
This position is exempt under section 126 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977, to conduct targeted recruitment programs for women.
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney is welcoming applications for a 3-year Postdoctoral Research Associate in Galactic Archaeology. This role is part of the Galactic Archaeology (GALAH) survey team and the ASTRO-3D Centre of Excellence. This project is funded by an Australian Research Council (ARC) grant awarded to Professor Joss Bland-Hawthorn (Sydney) and Professor Ken Freeman (ANU). The successful applicant will be based at the Sydney Institute for Astronomy in the School of Physics, but with resources to visit the ANU when required.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- participate in a research programme investigating a new window on the Milky Way
- demonstrate research excellence in Galactic archaeology and galactic dynamics
- publish original work
- help on occasion with the GALAH observing program (remote observing)
- support the supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students.
The School of Physics at the University of Sydney is the leading Physics department in the country, with outstanding staff and students undertaking world-leading teaching and research. Our 114 academic staff and 157 postgraduate students conduct research across a vast range of interests from nanoparticles to clusters of galaxies and from theoretical modelling to laboratory experiments.
With the support of 20+ professional, technical and administrative staff, the School of Physics teaches to a cohort of approximately 274 equivalent full-time student load (EFTSL) undergraduate students. With access to supercomputers, modern laboratory facilities and observatories, locally, nationally and internationally, the School of Physics is the premier environment for physics education and research.
The School of Physics is committed to creating a diverse workplace by improving equity, access and opportunity. We want to create an environment where individuality is welcomed and celebrated. We are continuously working to identify and remove biases and barriers in an effort to make our workplace open, supportive and safe for everyone.
To learn more about the School of Physics, click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate in Galactic Archaeology who has:
- a PhD (or near completion) in Galactic archaeology or Galactic dynamics, with experience in numerical simulations and model building
- the ability and a willingness to collaborate in multidisciplinary teams to contribute to long-term research goals; the applicant will be invited to join the GALAH survey team, and the ASTRO-3D ARC Centre of Excellence, both large international collaborations
- demonstrated ability to conduct research/scholarly activities under limited supervision.
- excellent communication (written and verbal), organisational and problem-solving skills with attention to detail
- a strong track record of publishing their research.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV and a personal statement) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
- The personal statement should describe your research to date (2 pages) and other intended research over the course of the position (2 pages).
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on +61 2 8627 7137 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 16 October 2022 11:59 PM