Postdoctoral Research Associate in Physical Oceanography
- Full time 17 months fixed term, located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Geosciences
- Opportunity to make valuable contributions to research in tropical Pacific climate variability and oceanography
- Base Salary Level A $97,043 p.a. - $100,717 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
We are seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Associate to work on a project relating to the impact of small-scale ocean processes on tropical Pacific climate variability. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of Dr Ryan Holmes within the School of Geosciences. This project has recently been funded by the Australian Research Council.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- undertake research in tropical Pacific physical oceanography, small-scale oceanic processes and climate variability
- perform high-resolution regional coupled and ocean-only numerical model simulations to understand physical processes of relevance to tropical Pacific climate
- publish research papers
- demonstrate research excellence
- assist with grant writing and publishing original work
- support the supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students.
The School of Geosciences has a strong reputation for the quality of its research and teaching in human and physical geography, environmental studies, marine science, and geology and geophysics. We tackle key issues facing society including climate change, resource management and sustainability.
To learn more about the School of Geosciences, click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate who has:
- a PhD (or near completion) in physical oceanography, climate science and/or climate/ocean modelling and equivalent combination of training and experience
- experience in numerical modelling of ocean and/or atmosphere processes at high-resolution
- demonstrated ability to conduct research/scholarly activities under limited supervision
- the ability and a willingness to collaborate in multidisciplinary teams to contribute to long-term research goals
- a strong track record of publishing their research
- excellent communication (written and verbal), organisational and problem-solving skills with attention to detail
- high level of interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues
- a demonstrated ability to complete work in timely fashion and to write up results for publication.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on +61 2 8627 7137 or by email email@example.com
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.\Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Monday 03 October 2022 11:59 PM
More searches like this
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Academic Posts jobs in Sydney
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Postdocs jobs in Sydney
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Research Related jobs in Sydney
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Research Associate jobs in Sydney