Impact & Engagement Manager
The Lau China Institute exists to undertake research, education and outreach on matters relating to contemporary China. It has 10 academic staff, 60 postgraduate students and 30 doctoral students – and is one of the largest research centres focussed on China in the world.
The Lau China Institute is seeking an Impact & Engagement Manager to continue growing the Institute’s impact and engagement activities, by implementing and building on its impact and engagement strategy.
This strategy has set an objective for the Lau China Institute to be recognised as a leading global hub of knowledge on China in the UK and across the globe.
To achieve this objective, the Impact & Engagement Manager will be responsible for raising the Institute’s profile and disseminating research to a broader audience through a range of strategic initiatives.
You will be responsible for organising high impact public events, running media campaigns, and liaising with our current network of supporters, in addition to identifying new ones.
The Impact & Engagement Manager will be working under the direction of the Institute Director, as well as working closely with the School Communications & Engagement team, to drive public engagement activities and with the support of the Impact & Engagement Officer.
The post will also work across the Faculty and College to contribute to the growing awareness and understanding of research impact, including sitting on the Faculty Impact Committee and tying the Institute’s work to the College’s broader impact aims.
This post will be offered on a full-time, fixed term contract for 3.5 years.
- Manage Impact & Engagement Officer.
- Develop high impact public programming and diverse audience engagement activities, including delivering the Lau’s flagship annual China Week, policy paper launches, events, roundtables and other profile-raising opportunities.
- Strengthen existing strategic partnerships and initiating new partnerships across higher education, NGOs, government/policy-making bodies and industry to exchange information and establish mutually aligned collaboration opportunities.
- Support research collaborations by working closely with the Institute’s academic team to identify and drive research partnerships and grant opportunities.
- Manage effective stakeholder engagement to drive collaboration across the Institute’s network, both internally and externally, including affiliates, researchers, PhD students, and working with impact-related teams across the College.
- Support proactive media outreach and responding to media requests with the support of the School and Faculty Communications teams.
- Oversee an Institute communications plan, which includes coordinating and editing the Lau’s flagship Policy Paper Series and managing targeted audience engagement across the Institute’s established content streams.
- Collaborate with the School and Faculty Communications teams on appropriate King’s communication and marketing activities.
- Work with colleagues from across the College undertaking similar impact activities and build beneficial internal networks.
- Undertake projects and duties as required or requested by the Director in relation to impact and engagement.
- Manage ad hoc student support for impact and engagement activities.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Professional Services staff are hybrid working and there is an expectation that you will split your time between home and being on campus.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Degree, HND, NVQ 4 qualified or equivalent in relevant subject/ relevant formal training, plus relevant experience in similar or related roles.
2. A secondary-level qualification or demonstrable training in communications, digital/social media, events.
3. Knowledge of higher education and understanding of ‘impact’ agenda.
4. A high standard of oral and written English is required to ensure high quality communication with a wide audience.
5. The ability to communicate at all levels and to adjust the tone dependent on the intended audience.
6. The ability to use different communication channels as appropriate to enhance engagement with a wide range of stakeholders.
7. Experience of using Content Management Systems.
8. Experience of analysing data and statistics in relation to media reach, social media engagement, etc.
9. Highly organised, with an ability to multi-task and work to deadlines.
10. Initiative to complete tasks without continual supervision and to be able to make decisions based on good judgement. Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
11. Strong stakeholder engagement skills with demonstrated experience in partnership management.
12. Experience managing a budget.
1. Experience of managing a small team.
2. Chinese Mandarin language skills.
3. Ability to work autonomously and make strategic decisions with minimal supervision.
4. Knowledge of China and previous work/study experience involving China, global affairs, security and/or trade.