Faculty Positions in Chemistry
School: School of Science
Position: Faculty [Open Rank]
Location: Suzhou, China
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
The chemistry Department was first established in 2010. The Department currently delivers one undergraduate BSc programme in ‘Applied Chemistry’ and one Master programme ‘MRes in Advanced Chemistry’. In 2017 our BSc in Applied Chemistry programme was accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry, the first RSC accreditation of its kind in China.
We are looking for future colleagues who can：
- conduct high-quality research, as shown by publications in leading journals,
- actively attract internal and external research funding,
- supervise PhD students and undergraduate students,
- teach undergraduate and postgraduate students,
- provide administrative service to the department and university committees,
- teach in the areas of chemistry in line with our programme.
Preference will be given to applicants who have shown outstanding promise in research and teaching. It is important to note that a successful applicant must be able to teach in English as XJTLU’s working and instructional language is English.
- A PhD degree in Chemistry.
- Two years of postdoctoral experience and preferably a demonstrable teaching experience.
- Ability to teach in an area in line with our programme.
- Experience in conducting research supported by national level research funds.
- Experience in academic programme design and development.
- Experience in design and implementation of digital and internet education.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Kids’ education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for 3 referees
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above. Informal enquiries about the positions and the department may be addressed to the Head of Department, Dr. Graham Dawson (Email: Graham.Dawson@xjtlu.edu.cn). Other informal enquiries may be addressed to the Recruiting Team at Lidan.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn Please quote the position and job ID (2740) in your enquiry.