Postdoctoral Research Associate in Bioinformatics
- Full-time, 3 year fixed-term opportunity. Located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Mathematics and Statistics
- Be part of a global collaboration between the University of Sydney and Hong Kong University
- Base Salary (Level A) $97,043 - $107,516 + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney has formed a global collaboration with Hong Kong University to form to apply data science and artificial-intelligence methods to solve intractable problems in public health. The hub is part of the Laboratory of Data Discovery for Health, a joint project led by the University of Hong Kong in collaboration with the University of Sydney, University College London and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
We are currently seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Associate in Bioinformatics to work on this project from the University of Sydney. The successful applicant will also be part of the Sydney Precision Data Science Centre and School of Mathematics and Statistics. We have a strong team working on various aspects of applied statistics and bioinformatics research.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate in Bioinformatics who has:
- experience with low level processing or performing initial data analysis on recent platforms of omics data such as next generation sequencing or mass spectrometry
- superior computer programming or software development skills
- high-dimension data analysis experience
- demonstrated ability to conduct research / scholarly activities under limited supervision and as part of a multidisciplinary research team
- good communication skills (both written and oral).
Applicants who demonstrate the following desirable criteria will be highly regarded:
- experience with single cell data or statistical modelling, with preference to experience in analysing high-dimensional regression models and variable selection
- experience with statistics or biomedical data science consulting
- ability to assist researchers from other disciplines as well as work with PhD students within the statistics bioinformatics research group
- good organisational and administrative skills with attention to detail
- comprehensive experience of common online bioinformatics software and databases such as PRIDE, UniProt, GenBank or BLAST etc
- strong general IT skills, including familiarity with Linux/Unix environments and HPC server.
To apply, please submit a cover letter that addresses the following questions and attach it to your application:
- Outline your computer programming or software development skills in at least two computational languages with one of them preferably in R
- Provide an example of your experience in high-dimension data analysis.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Visa sponsorship is only available for this position for candidates who are currently located within Australia.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Simon Drew, Recruitment Operations, Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 09 October 2022 11:59 PM